’55 11BN in Vancouver

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

@Fjord wrote:

So after 7 1/2 months my car is finally insured and back on the road! It passed the provincial inspection on the first attempt, which was a pleasant surprise. Of course now that it’s driving I’ll be starting a new to-do list, and I hope to go for a ride in a local sorted car or two to understand what is normal for these cars, and what needs to be on my list. So far:

– the fuel sender is out since it always reads 20 litres

OK I have an answer for the fuel gauge situation for you.

At the 80th Anniversary Rally in France last weekend I bouught a new fuel sender unit on spec for a bargain 20 euro from Claude Renel http://www.renelauto.fr/ at the auto jumble which I fitted today.

Now I knew I had less than half a tank of fuel so when I turned the new one on, it still showed circa 20 litres, so off I went to the garage and added 20 litres of fuel and the gauge went down to showing 10 litres 😆

However swapped the Blue and Yellow leads over on the sender and my gauge now shows 40 litres which is somewhere near correct. I’ll know better next fill as I’ll brim the tank off and watch what happens.

BTW when I took the old unit apart the connector was all bent inside and not touching the resistor correctly but the casing was also cracked so it got binned.

Anonymous

I bought a new fuel sender, a sealed unit and all is well after some bending of the arm. My fuel tank is fibreglass so it’s dimensions are likely not the same as a steel tank but they can’t be that much different. The gauge works, maybe half-assed but I now have a good idea of what’s in the tank. I can live with that.

For the juddering on take off in first, it’s possible that the rear rubber damper on the timing cover may have perished which will cause the engine to shake.

Anonymous

Thanks for the tips.

@Larry – would you have a photo or diagram that shows the location of the shift lock? I took a quick look but didn’t see anything obvious on the transmission, and the diagrams aren’t the most clearly labelled. re: the juddering, if I’m patient and careful I can avoid it. It only shows up when I rush.

The rains seem to have returned, so I expect my driving opportunities will drop off significantly.

Anonymous

The juddering could be caused by over oiling the release bearing via the small filler as it can contaminate the clutch plate.

As for the ‘lock’ clearance, there is a small cover on the front of the bell housing with a bolt on top securing it on the opposite side to the shaft tower.

Anonymous

Actually, the bolt that holds the cover is horizontal and faces the front of the car. The two on top hold the shift rods in place. Look where the vertical rods attach to the gear box and you will see the one bolt. Remove the bolt, the tin cover and the fabric dust cover (there should be one) and you will see the TEE coming out of the gearbox and the two-pronged fork that is part of the clutch release bearing. Loosen the vertical bolt that is part of the bearing holder and spread the fork gap to about 1/4 inch, it shouldn’t need more, tighten it and that should do it.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • The forum ‘Introduce Yourself’ is closed to new topics and replies.