An odd brake problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I drove the 49 BL around the block a few times today and one time the brake pedal seemed to lock up, like it was hitting something metallic. I pumped the pedal a few times and the brakes worked normally, but during the lockup thing, the brakes didn’t work at all! Dangerous! Do I need to pull the engine back out to solve this? I hope not but if I do it’ll have to wait until next year. It seems to drive OK otherwise, shifts and steers easy, some vibration but that brake problem is worrying. Any advice?

Anonymous

Master cylinder Spring stuck or ports temporary blocked?

Anonymous

Is it the original Master Cylinder or have you changed some of the parts inside.

I had the non return valve at the end of the MC snap off (or it can just float around, working sometimes). This stopped the fluid releasing and basically the pedal locked up and I had no brakes. These were new replacement parts. I changed them for more new replacement parts and it has been good ever since.

Shouldn’t need to pull the engine for brakes though.

Ian

Anonymous

The MC is new and is located alongside the engine, not in the jambon, making it a pull-the-engine job to replace it or to pull out the pedal assembly which I think is what I will have to do. It’s like the pedal hits something metallic, it just stops on its travel, can’t push it anymore then it will release and the brakes will work. Maybe it is the MC like you say, I have had a bad one in my Light 15 a few years ago. I removed the pedal push rod clevis pin when the engine was out, there were some burrs on that and filed them off and thought I had it but no. I’d pull the engine out straight away, but winter can get here any day and then I’m screwed having a heatless garage. 😈

Anonymous

Hi……I am about to replace the brake master cylinder on my Lt 15 (slough built). Do I really have to take the engine out?

Anonymous

………..

Anonymous

Thanks for the info Den… just what I didn’t want to hear!
                  That must be about the worst piece of car design I have heard of since learning that the bulkhead on a Jensen interceptor had to be torched to get at the wiper motor (or was it the heater?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.