Big Boot Rubbers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can anyone show me how the boot seals go on a big boot car please.

I have the top rubber and then the long edge rubber. A couple of photos would be great 😀

Is the top one glued in ❓

Is the long edge rubber put on the lid or the surround ❓

Thanks…. (it is cold in the garage)

Anonymous

………..

Anonymous

Not the best picture Ian but you can see how the clips that Den mentioned fit (it’s cold here as well but if I get a chance to get some more pics tomorrow I will)

BTW some members don’t use the wide rubber on the edge, instead they use a tube type rubber with a slit in which looks far tidier (have a look at the trimmers at Retromobile), only using the wide rubber on the bottom edge

Anonymous

How do they join the 2 Dave? Or have they actually used one complete length and cut off 2/3rds of the lip?

Anonymous

Who sells that tube-type rubber? I wouldn’t mind using it on my cars. It would look far nicer than the wide flange type and probably seal better too.

Anonymous

East Kent Trim sell the rubber extrusion, something like 694 or 873 on this page http://www.classiccar-trim.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/eastkent?opendocument&part=15

Ian, if you use the flange rubber, it’s normally in 2 halves with a joint at the lock area

Anonymous

The top rubber – does this lie flat or does it go vertical along the top.

Sounds a silly question, but this car had the remnants of a rubber and it was hard to tell how it was fitted.

I go to Retro Mobile tomorrow and hope to pick up various rubber forms. I am finding a big sheet of rubber matt and lots of different lengths of edging strip is coming in very handy with making gaskets, seals and protecting edges.

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

So where about would you cut at the top.

[attachment=0:20vefcfr]P1070218.jpeg[/attachment:20vefcfr]

And the top rubber – when it is fitted, is there resistance when closing the boot as the top lip digs into the rubber. i.e. will this fit itself over time or do I need to adjust the boot hinge bolts.

Anonymous

If you look at my pictures, the broad rubber ends where it meets the closed cell one across the top and the joint is at the lock handle. Sorry about the quality etc. but the car is tight in the garage and it’s blowing a gale and heavy with sleet here today 🙄

On my car the hinge holes in the car and on the boot lid are pretty tight so there is not a lot of adjustment there to be had. The lid just sits on the rubber and squeezes it.

The sides just direct water away and if you don’t wipe the water off the boot lid before opening it….. well it can’t run away fast enough and some ends in the boot, which is why I have several additional drain holes in the spare wheel well 😆

Anonymous

……….

Anonymous

…………….

Anonymous

@Den Hewitt wrote:

Dave, the two rubbers you are suggesting from East Kent Trim Supplies are too small. The 873 is 7.5mm wide and the 694 is 7mm wide. It needs to be at least 15mm (the width of the standard rubber).

It’s not for the topDen, but down each side (and potentially the bottom) of the boot lid

From memory (it’s been a while since I saw it last June) Ray Andrews has rubber somewhere around 7.5-10mm on his Big 6H boot lid and is nowhere near 15mm?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.