Bonnet Catch Springs

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior Bonnet Catch Springs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Smith
    Participant

Does anyone have any tips  on fitting these beasties My arthritic limbs  are sorely  tested by the strnegth of the  springs and I dread slipping and  ruining  my new paint  work

Thanks Chris

Norman Anderson
      Participant

There is a definite sequence, and can easily be completed without scuffing paintwork.

Fit the handle by placing the ‘catch’ through the bonnet cavity first, then the shaft through the round hole.

make SURE you have the correct handle orientation! It’s easy to install them upside down (I know this).

1. Now slide the spring through the hole in the chrome catch end. (Again, check the spring is orientated correctly.

2. Now you can easily fit the washer and split pin.

3. Finally, you can now slip the spring over the metal catch. I lay a sheet of clean cloth over the exposed bit of the bonnet. Then use a pair of vice grips on the end of the spring. You can also use a flat screwdriver at the same time to ‘help’ the spring into the catch.

This can be done with the bonnet fitted to the car or removed. I didn’t find it much easier with the bonnet removed.

Don’t try and fit the washer and split pin last. It won’t work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.