Clutch Replacement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi All,

I have just bought my wife a 1955 Paris built Light 15 Chassis no 658316

It has horrific clutch slip and judder, I am going to pull the gearbox out and replace the clutch.

Only problem is that I do not know how to take out the gearbox on car like this!!

I assume that I simply lift the car, driveshafts off, wings radiator and bonnet, support the motor – unbolt the box and pull it forwards? Or it that an oversimplification?

Does anybody have any pointers for a reasonably competent mechanic? Engine mounts, flywheel re-surface etc?

All help gratefully received.

Steve

Anonymous

On the small bodied cars you really need to remove the engine and gearbox complete, then pull the gearbox off I’m afraid

The good news is that it can be done with only the bonnet off, front grill and radiator, you can leave the wings in place saving a dozen bolts…..

As for a mechanic, where in the UK are you?

Anonymous

Hi and thanks for the speedy reply.

I am near Epsom in Surrey, I meant that I am a reasonable mechanic……..well on older cars anyway! Taking the motor and box out of the Citroen poses not much of a problem. However who finds now that they look under the bonnet of a new car and quickly close it again, before they break something – I know I do !

Thanks again and any other advice or parts that I should either take or order before I start work please feel free to say.

I’ll try to post a pic or two on here with it disassembled (If I can work out how)

Steve

Anonymous

OK from memory when james did mine, if I miss anything, or get it in the wrong order, sorry……..

Front bumper, bonnet, front grill to remove 1st

Then drain the water, remove the radiator whilst the car is level.

Jack the car and support on axle stands under the body with a wood block to spread the load

Uncouple the wiring and HT leads where connected to the engine, uncouple the gear selector rods at the front and the fuel supply from the pump inlet.

Support the engine on a jack, Disconnect the drive shafts (might be easier with the gearbox support removed so maybe do that now? )

Then remove the rear engine mount from the cabin side of the bulkhead, then remove the side engine mounts and the front gearbox support (if not done to uncouple the driveshafts), then sling the engine from the rear lifting eye and the water pump and lift up and forward until clear of the car

Hopefully someone else will clarify the order for you.

As for parts, well until you get the gearbox off and take a look, you won’t know if it’s running an original type clutch or a more modern Ford Granada type replacement?

Anonymous

……… and remove the battery and it’s box. This will allow the engine/gearbox unit to pivot about the two side mountings to obtain clearance to draw the bell housing through the cradle.

Noah.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.