Door Glass seals

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Smith
    Participant

My barn  find has me stumped. How  do I keep  rain water  from running  down the glass and  rusting  out  all the  cobwebs  and rat s poo along  with  my lovely new door  skins ?! The  belgians have  sent me  some  rubber  strips  with a  thin strip  of cardboard stapled  to them–now  that’s  gonna  last  isn’t  it?!  I have  replaced the  little  rubber thingies  that go in the  outer skin which I guess  help  with alignment of  the  glass  but  what am I missing ?   Any  advice pictures  or pointer  to previous  forms  appreciated Chris

David Faulkner
      Participant

The joys of an old Citroen. Well if you make sure that there are holes in the door bottom for the water to drain out of and coat all the inside with rustproofing wax like Bilt Hamber Dynax then it should outlast your ownership….

I have seen the occasional Traction with rubber strips from a modern car retro fitted but as far as I am aware Citroen didn’t fit anything. Slough cars are worse than French BTW as when they cut holes in the B pillars and fitted the trafficators they didn’t put drain holes in the sills so…..

Oh and make sure you put a polythene barrier between the door frame and inner door car to stop them getting damp, warping, staining and rotting

Good luck

Larry Lewis
        Participant

There are rubber strips available that go in the channel that the window rides in that will close off the gap between the glass and the outer door skin. They aren’t going to seal it 100 % but it’s what there was from the factory. The strips with the cardboard go on top of the inner door and ride against the glass. The main thing is to have drain holes in the lower door frames at the lowest point and try to cover where the door skin and frame come together with undercoating to fill in that area and hopefully direct water to the drains. Regarding the trafficator slots, when washing my Light 15, I would temporarily cover them with tape. Pictures below is the rubber for under the glass:

https://www.citroen-traction-avant.com/fr/shop/article/216=!082/Profile_de_scellement_de_glace_de_portes

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Larry Lewis.
          Christopher Smith
          Participant

Thanks gents That makes  sense and I have  added  the  drain holes Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.