Drive shaft play

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Dawes
    Participant

49 Light 15. I have play in the drive shafts. I have a full set of crosshead assemblies from the club (thanks for your help & advice Chris). But looking at the play (job not started yet) the play is the cup (part no. 380464) moving in the yolk (part no. 380945). Club spares and others do not have replacement yolks (380945). Is it ‘normal’ for the play to show up in this way or is there a source of ‘used’ yolks I can try? Thanks, John, Cumbria.

Bernie
      Participant

John,

“Usual” is probably too strong a term but it does happen and tends to be the result of a worn or broken crosshead not having been replaced in good time.

There is no simple fix other than replacement.  The cost of building up the lost material and then machining to finished size – with the circlip groove – is going to be astronomical.

If the problem is at the inner (gearbox output) knuckle you will be able to pick up good used parts.  If it is the main outer joint in the drive shaft itself then I would recommend replacing the shaft(s).

B………….

John Dawes
        Participant

Hi Bernie, thanks for the advice. I would be happy to replace the whole shaft, but so far as I can tell, there are only CV joint ones available. I’ve not been able to find a source of recon/used replacement driveshafts. I could go to CV jointed ones (which I may have to) while I work out how to recondition the existing shafts. I guess these are a straight swap?

Thanks, John

Bernie
          Participant

John,

Yes, straightforward replacement, no mods required.

You may possibly find somebody on the continent who can recondition old type shafts but the price will probably be in excess of a modern replacement and I would expect the life of the latter to be longer.

B……….

John Dawes
            Participant

Thanks Bernie.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.