Electical system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can anyone tell me whether Paris built 6v models have positive or negative earth?

Anonymous

Mine was negative Earth before I changed to 12v and if you look at the wiring diagrams available on the TOC site they will confirm it http://traction-owners.co.uk/members_only/torque.shtml (you do need to be a paid up member with a username and password to access)

Anonymous

Mine is negative earth.

I will be changing it to 12 volt.

And I have re drawn the electrical diagram as seen on the TOC website. So I will be modifying it as I go along for all the changes I will be doing.

If anyone knows of a source for an Alternator (with integrated regulator) that will fit the traction I would be very interested (I can always modify the fitting but a good start would be nice)

Anonymous

TOC club spares supply an alternator which has the mounting holes in the correct place and uses the original dynamo adjuster bracket so is easy to install. (CTA stock them as well)

However, I have had a 14v sensing relay fitted into my car and via experimentation found that you need to get a pulley for the alternator which is circa 70-72 mm diameter to get it to spin fast enough at low revs/speeds (between 2.8 and 3X the large 181mm pulley) otherwise your not getting a full charge around town etc. in 2nd or 3rd gear so with wipers, lights etc. on the car is actually drawing battery power.

I also sourced a 15amp 12v to 6v reducer which I fitted to the wiper motor circuit from eBay.de (Germany) so I didn’t need to make any changes to the wiper motor

It then also needs a B38 notched fan belt as the standard ones are to long and not flexible enough to bend around the small diameter pulley so were cracking after 3,000 kms

I got a Gates B38 MN belt via my local autoparts shop 😀

One final word of warning: People will tell you that whilst running on 12v the 6v starter motor will work and it does.

Eventually though, it will give in, as mine did in the rally field at La Ferte-Vidame, so you might want to think about changing yours before you fit the engine…………….

Anonymous

…………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.