Engine Mounts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Yes exactly my thoughts too.

Anonymous

OK spoke to Graham Handley today who confirmed that he replaced his Volute springs with rubber mounts on his 49 Light 15 circa 7-8 years ago and has covered several thousand miles since.

The rear mount was removed at the time and he has had no problems at all since.

However it’s so long ago he can’t really remember if the car was any different after they were fitted 😉

His, he thinks, came from Germany at the time, but they had full instructions on how to tighten and set the engine height correctly.

From my engineering background my thoughts are that all you are doing is upgrading the engine mount to reduce vibration and noise transfer into the hull of the car.

If the gearbox mount and engine side mounts are in good condition and set correctly, then the rear mount actually does little or nothing. It’s only if the side mount springs are weak or broken, not set correctly, that the rear of the engine would move and the rear mount would contact the sides of the cover on the bulkhead.

With a rebuilt and balanced engine running smoothly, is there any benefit to change from Volute springs to rubber mounts?

I have lots of sound proofing, vibration damping etc. on my bulkhead so the car isn’t really noisy anyway, so I’ll probably not bother spending money on replacement engine mounts and use it to buy a new alternator for the DSuper…….

Anonymous

I have received the mounts now, and having inspected them and the exploded view of the original spring mounts, am I right in thinking that the original springs simply sit in cups on the brackets from the chassis?
          If this is the case, then the rear mount is more likely to be there to stop the engine jumping off its mounts than to prevent it dropping. The new rubber block mounts are fixed down, and therefore, this cannot happen.

Anonymous

@norustplease wrote:

am I right in thinking that the original springs simply sit in cups on the brackets from the chassis?.

In word, yes!

Anonymous

Looking at the Renelauto catalog, they have two rear engine mounts, one for a pre-52, one for post 52. I had no idea there was a difference. I put a later one on the 49 BL, I wonder if that’s a bad idea.

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

@norustplease wrote:

I have received the mounts now, and having inspected them and the exploded view of the original spring mounts, am I right in thinking that the original springs simply sit in cups on the brackets from the chassis?
                  If this is the case, then the rear mount is more likely to be there to stop the engine jumping off its mounts than to prevent it dropping. The new rubber block mounts are fixed down, and therefore, this cannot happen.

Bryan, thanks for answering the question that’s been on my mind. Would still seem wise to ‘centralise’ the engine in the bulkhead cavity I guess.
                  Question: where did you get the mounts from? (may save me shopping around for the best price/shipping deal)

Anonymous

Hi Norman
                    I bought them from CAS. I have looked at the other regular sites (Franzose, Franssen, etc.) but could not see another stockist. They are quite pricey, but the price is for two units, so a little better.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.