Exterior door handles and mud flaps

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior Exterior door handles and mud flaps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Pringle

Greetings,

I am looking to replace all four exterior door handles on my ‘52 Normale, as the existing handles have suffered from pitting/flaking over the years. However, I cannot fathom how to remove them – I removed the two screws in the exterior escutcheon but the handle still feels attached internally. I don’t want to force it in case I break something, I’ve looked through the manuals but couldn’t find anything explicitly detailing exterior door handle removal. Could anybody enlighten me on the correct procedure?

Secondly, I have a set of front mud flaps to fit, however my car has plastic wings and there’s no bracket to attach the mud flaps to. Is there a bracket out there for plastic-winged cars or is fabricating one myself the best option?

Finally, a bit of a long shot but does anybody know what material the black headlamp “pods” are made from? I’m guessing mild steel.

Thanks very much,

Best regards,

Ben

Paul Barnard
      Participant

Hi Ben

In order to remove the door handles it is necessary to twist them through 90* when you have pulled them back as far as you can. This is because there is a ‘diamond’ shaped retainer just inside – in effect the square of the handle turned through 90*. Even then they can still be a bit fiddly to remove so plenty of WD40 or hatever you use.

I have never come across brackets specifically for fibreglass wings on any of the parts supplier websites so you may have to make your own. However, no doubt there will those much more knowledgeable than I who might help you.

Headlamp pods are mild steel as far as I know.

Kind regards

Paul

Benjamin Pringle

Thanks Paul, that’s most appreciated. That will explain why I couldn’t remove them…

Thanks for the details regarding brackets and pods as well.

Best regards,
          Ben

Bernie
          Participant

Ben

Pods …? Do you mean the headlamp supports on the wings?

If so, they are not steel.  I think they are aluminium or, if not, “pot metal”.  The two studs are cast in place and not screwed in, so any attempt to forcibly remove them will almost certainly lead to a breakage.

If a stud has to be replaced the old one should be cut flush with the casting and then the remains drilled out taking extreme care to drill parallel to the other stud.   There is not a lot of material to play with and care should also be taken to prevent drilling too far and breaking through the top surface of the casting.

B……

Benjamin Pringle

Hi Bernie,

I am referring to the aerodynamic “teardrop” shaped fairings that the headlight reflector and lens units attach to. I am sure they have a proper name, but I cannot for the life of me remember what they are called.. the little red prisms clip to the top of them..

Thanks,

Ben

Bernie
              Participant

Ben,

Ah, my misunderstandment!  I call those headlamp shells or bowls.

Yes yours are mild steel although early French parts were brass.

B…..

TOC Helpline
                Participant

Ben

Have you managed to remove the exterior handles? I’m not sure I understand the previous instructions. Give the Helpline a call if you’re still struggling,

Benjamin Pringle

Shells… that’s the term I was after..! Thanks.

I haven’t removed the exterior handles yet, I’m awaiting to hear back from the spares department as to whether replacements are in stock currently.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.