Fuel Pump Burst

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Today the top of my fuel pump burst. I was backing the car out of the garage and left a stream of petrol behind. Opened up the bonnet and it was pumping out like a fountain.

Now I do have an electric pump feeding the original pump so I suspect there is too much pressure but a little miffed as to why the brand new seals in the original pump just failed in such a way.

No time to fix it now, so I tightened it all up again and there is just a slight ooze, I will order some new seals but will also look into bypassing the pump altogether and leave it there as a mechanical spare – shame as it looks right 😉

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

Not throwing it away at all, works fine.

But I thought I could get away with the electric fuel pump feeding the mechanical fuel pump without to much problem. But after my last long drive (400 km) it must have been tested to the max and as you say the seals (which were new) have failed due to the pressure from the electric feel pump.

I do have a cut off switch for the electric pump so maybe if I just use it to feed the engine on start up and then turn it off, it may work fine (well it does as I have done this before by mistake)

Just a little bit of a shock to have fuel pumping everywhere (specially when I have 12 guests staying with us at the moment 😕 )

Anonymous

……………..

Anonymous

New gasket made for the top of the fuel pump. I also put some lactate 518 sealant (just a smear) on both sides.

New fibre washer, this time with a washer above it to stop it braking apart when tightening it.

All seems good. Car runs well without the electric feel pump so will just use that to prime the system on start up.

Off for a Sunday afternoon drive to test it out – bloody hot here now though, 30 + degrees. Better get that aircon ordered 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.