Gearbox oil level & oil type

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Gearbox & drive shafts Gearbox oil level & oil type

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is an embarrassingly dim question, but I am trying to check the gearbox oil level for the first time. Can I firstly get confirmation that the hole marked in the photo is the filler hole? And secondly, what should the correct level be? Would “just overflowing” be correct? I have tried to use a photo published in Floating Power Oct 1999 (p13), but I can’t work out what it is showing. ;-(

Finally, FP says to drain and refill with new Hypoid (90) oil rather than topping up; presumably this advise still stands? I have some “Morris lubricants Golden Film AG90 Classic Gear Oil” in the barn, so would like to use it if possible. Is it OK to use?

[The container states that it is “a straight non-EP gear oil, formulated for use in gearboxes and transmissions of classic, vintage and veteran motorcycles, cars, etc” and “This product does not contain extreme pressure (EP) additives and therefore is safe to use where phosphor-bronze or copper containing alloys are used. Ideal for gearboxes, transmissions, final drives or diffs requiring a non-EP lubricant with an SAE 90 rating. Performance Level: AP1 GL!”]

Many thanks in advance,

Julian

2018-07-21_13_15_02

David Faulkner
      Participant

Can I firstly get confirmation that the hole marked in the photo is the filler hole?

Yes, it takes circa 2 litres of oil and with the car on level ground it should be filled to the point where it’s just about to overflow.

As to your oil, there are threads in the forum on what is suitable but remember, oil is cheap, gearboxes aren’t, just like engines, so it’s not worth skimping on fluids for them……

Participant

Many thanks, David. Very helpful, and sage advice re: using the right oil !

Julian

David Faulkner
          Participant

Even using the right oil hasn’t saved mine… pulled away at a roundabout on Sunday and had a loud bang and couldn’t put power to the wheels without severe knocking and juddering.

James Geddes got the top off the gearbox today and as we initially thought, it was the differential. The pinion has shed 2 teeth… No idea how but the miraculously dropped in the bottom of the bell housing and didn’t jam the box and split the casing.

The rest of the gearbox looks fine and clean, but there is nothing for it but a (not cheap at all)  gearbox rebuild…….

.extracted

Alistair
            Participant

Time for a 10 x 31 CWP?

David Faulkner
              Participant

Time for a 10 x 31 CWP?

Thought about it, but too many hills where we tend to go though it would be nice for motorway running.

Editor FP
                Participant

I had a 10 x 31 fitted a couple of years ago, mainly to reduce noise levels at higher speeds. However, I must say that if I had my time again, I would probably keep the standard setup, which coped far better with the local hills, and speed limits, and would invest the money saved in some higher tech sound deadening for the odd occassions when the opportunity presents itself to go faster than 50 mile per hour!

Participant

When changing the gearbox oil, should I get the old oil hot (ie by driving the car), or is it OK to do it cold? I am not sure how hot gearbox oil gets (unlike engine oil).

TIA

Julian

David Faulkner
                    Participant

It should drain out ‘cold’ OK but you never get it all out as a bit is left in the bell housing as I found out when we removed my gearbox. Invest in a magnetic drain plug, it will attract any metallic particles (same as engine sump plug)

Just so everyone is aware, the only place I could find with a 9 X 31 crown wheel and pinion was Jose Fransen at 800 euro, Chris at Club Spares has not had any for over a year apparently.

The Fransens ones are ‘Made In Germany’ and according to Mark Harding, who has seen some, are good quality and look to be ‘diamond ground’ so need less running in?

David Faulkner
                      Participant

I have some “Morris lubricants Golden Film AG90 Classic Gear Oil” in the barn, so would like to use it if possible. Is it OK to use?

Found an old ‘lubricants’ sheet yesterday at ‘Traction Repairs’ dated 1938 and ‘Castrol Swanshot’ was listed as the gear oil. The Equivalent now is Castrol ST 90 (as posted by Phil Allison in another thread)  and looking at the spec for Golden Film AG90 https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/golden-film-ag90-classic-gear-oil.html (click on downloads – Technical Data Sheet)  it looks fine to use in the Traction gearbox. But as ever make your own enquiries to confirm…..

lubricants

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.