Internal windscreen surround

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior Internal windscreen surround

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ron
    Participant

Having found the forum very useful in resolving my previous query I’m ready to take the plunge again.  My LHD 55 11BN had the headlining replaced a couple of years back and I have recently noticed that the metal surround seems to have come adrift slightly and is vibrating.

Is it a simple job to release and realign the surround and if so any advice about how to proceed will be gratefully received.

Thanks. Ron Herivel

Bernie
      Participant

Ron,

Which surround -if front screen or rear screen, both are simply held bt a number of self-tapping screws.

B….

David Faulkner
        Participant

55 is a ‘Big Boot’ car Ron? if so the windscreen surround from the bottom of the screen up is held on with the same metal ‘push’ clips as the door cards by locating in holes in the body along where the ‘tags’ are for the headlining.

You could try pushing it back on but it can be a pain to get locked in place and I would get some replacement clips as they tend to not hold as well 2nd time around before you pull it off to take a look.

To remove it completely though takes a bit of work as beside those clips, at the bottom, left, middle and right side are 3 screws to be removed. However the worst part is the speedo, as you need to disconnect the drive cable at the gearbox to get enough slack to pull it forward so you can get some access to disconnect everything so the frame comes away.

I would try and pull the top of the frame back first (gently so you don’t twist it) and have a look at the clips which should be at each end and the middle.

Good luck

Ron
          Participant

Thanks, yes it is the front screen surround and a big boot model.  In the centre of the upper section is what looks like a giant 6cm wide overcentre clip, presumably covering the joint.  The issue seems to be the driver side(LHD) upper portion which is loose.  Does the centre clip slide to one side or is it gently persuaded to unclip allowing me to peep behind the surround.  Any pitfalls to be aware of before making this move apart from being prepared with new clips?

Thanks. Ron.

Bernie
            Participant

Ron, it unclips to reveal a couple of self tappers.

It sounds as if the frame has popped out from behind the bodywork.  You may also need to undo the self tapper near the speedo to relocate ut properly.

Three should be a  U-section rubber seal around the bodywork which keeps things nice and tight and prevents rattles. Check it is there and correctly located

Ron
              Participant

Thanks Bernie, I’ll give that a go tomorrow.

Ron

David Faulkner
                Participant

It sounds as if the frame has popped out from behind the bodywork. You may also need to undo the self tapper near the speedo to relocate ut properly.

Interesting Bernie, mine never had self tappers in there which is why it probably came adrift so something for me to take a look at 🙂

Ron
                  Participant

Two replacement clips fitted but the one nearest the A post at the top seems to be a Brexit clip and leaves the main body unbidden.  The other is a Remainer, looks like I may have to live with this for a while until brand new clip found!!

Ron

David Faulkner
                    Participant

The other is a Remainer, looks like I may have to live with this for a while until brand new clip found!!

They are available from the main parts suppliers Ron and are the same as the door card clips (well mine were)

E.g. here are some at Renel: https://www.renelauto.fr/accueil/1560-agrafes-panneaux-de-portes-traction-25-pieces.html but they sell in packs of 25

CAS sell them in 15’s https://www.cas-shop.com/en/product/doorpanel-clip/ but you need to watch out for minimum postage charges from some suppliers

Bernie
                      Participant

Ron,

I have a small “stock” of 2 types …..

20200604_194459

I assume the larger on the right is the correct one but, if you think either will do, send me your postal address (bernie-pearl@lineone.net) and say which and I shall drop a couple in the post.

B …….

Ron
                        Participant

Thanks Bernie, I’ll have a look in the morning, memory says that the shorter one is the one that springs out so maybe the longer would be more suitable.  I will get back to you.

Regards.

Ron

Ron
                          Participant

David Re windscreen clips, apologies for not saying thanks for your advice and the web addresses. Ron.

Bernie
                            Participant

Ron,

Does that mean you are now sorted out … or will you still be requiring some clips?

B….

Ron
                              Participant

Hello Bernie, email in the post!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.