Is this gear ok?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Norman Anderson
    Participant

After reading Martin de Little’s excellent article in FP Vol 42 Issue 1, I thought I’d have a look in the gearbox before hooking it up to the refurbished engine.

All looked ok to my untrained eye, except for this gear which lives on the main shaft. If you zoom in and look where the red arrow is, you will see quite a rough, perhaps scuffed surface. Is this normal? Just seems out of place.

Right, now for the real challenge, tying to attach an image to this post….

Larry Lewis
      Participant

That should not be a worry- it does not mesh with anything, the groove just above it is where the shift fork in the top cover engages with the first/reverse gear.

Norman Anderson
        Participant

Thanks Larry, looks like it’s good to go then!

Will just change the drive seals, maybe the thrust bearing and wrap it up.

Wonder why the gearbox looks to be in such good condition, when the rest of the vehicle was so awful. Will never know.

Larry Lewis
          Participant

Before you put the box back in the car, how is second gear? Does it wiggle or move fore-and-aft on the shaft? If it does, you should address it.

Norman Anderson
            Participant

Thanks for the advice Larry. There is no play on the shaft, but it does slide fore-and-aft on the shaft by a good 2-3mm! Take it that’s too much?

Larry Lewis
              Participant

Without a doubt. You need to take the upper shaft out and sort it out. Leaving it, it will grind for sure going from first to second and I would think it probable that the bushings have moved, blocking the oil holes. You sure don’t want a gearbox like in the latest FP. Don’t chance it, take care of it. Once you have second set right on the shaft, it will shift beautifully.

Martin de Little
                Participant

To Norman, Larry is right.

A 2-3 mm lateral movement  of the 2nd/rev cluster  is WAY too much movement. In principle it should be  0.25mm of a millimeter. Changing into 2nd may be crunchy and that will be because of this movement. Noise may well be a give away also.  Stop now  get the box out and sorted.

It rather sounds as if the Celereon (aka Tufnol) thrust washer between the 2nd/Rev cluster and a substantial locking ring has  broken down. A quick way  to find out is to fumble about  through the drain plug. Anything that emerges of a semi plastic nature…..

Old and new Celeron (aka Tufnol) thrust washer

……. brown in colour with a fabric kind of texture will be the celeron washer.   With  movement like that  something is going to break.

MdeL

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.