Jambonneau sealing

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior Jambonneau sealing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Richard Larter
    Participant

I have just spent a couple of days welding up the front of the bodyshell of my Light 15. It appears water has been getting into bodyshell via the hole where the steering column passes into the body. Should there be a seal here to prevent water ingress? Not an east repair as it is double skinned and a complicated shape and the steering is in the way but it has survived for 70 years.

Cheers Richard

Paul Barnard
      Participant

Hi Richard

Assuming that mine is original (and I’m fairly sure it is) there should be a large rubber ‘collar’ around the column where it exits the jambonneau and this has a metal spring clip attached to it (not dissimilar to a spring key ring) and this pushes inside the hole in the jambonneau springs out and secures the seal against it. Seeing as how this ‘collar’ is in one piece I assume it was originally fitted at the same time as the steering column. Mine is perished and I can see that I will have to work out a way of sealing it after cutting it (as I don’t want to remove the column)but since cannot see that it would be particularly effective without some form of mastic or similar to complete the seal this may not be too difficult.

Regards

Paul

David Faulkner
        Participant

My late 1952 car has had the steering rebuilt and has what appears to be a simple rubber gasket fastened to the body that the column passes through. Not the best picture as the car is in the garage and awkward to reach but should give some idea.

seal

Richard Larter
          Participant

Thank you Paul and David for you advice.  I should have fabricated a seal while the steering was dismantled but I didn’t know it existed. I will look out for some rubber sheet and make a seal.

Cheers Richard

Bernie
            Participant

Richard,

The original rubber was held in place by a spring clip and not attached to the body work with screws (= more points for rust to start).

These parts (seal and retaining clip) are available from CTA :

https://www.ctaservice.nl/product/14238/stuurstang-rubber-carrosserie

https://www.ctaservice.nl/product/21426/ststang-rub-klem-v-232298

Club Spares may also have them but I have not asked.

Unfortunaely, fitting will require the coulmn to be removed again – but I would suggest that is probably better than splitting the seal which will risk creating a possible path for water ingress.

B……………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.