Leaking Water Pump

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Yes, this could be a regular topic but as you know I took mine off after the rebuild and stripped it down. Put in a new spindle, prop, bearing seal, bears and the brass bush. So basically a new pump. No leaks whatsoever…. all good.

But I have been having a small puddle of coolant under the car for the past few weeks. (mixed in with a little oil which is from y driveshafts – this mixes in the lower cross member and has confused the hell out of me, fearing the worst). I have finally tracked down the source of the leak but I am stumped on how to fix it.

[attachment=0:3fw7k9b8]P1070525.jpg[/attachment:3fw7k9b8]

It is bubbling out of the oil filler tube on top of the water pump – (yes the little cap broke off but still)- is this due to the water level of the radiator being higher than this point. Why is the water coming out here….. anyone know.

Anonymous

…………..

Anonymous

hmmm, could be. Only way to find out is to take it all off….. again. Bugger.

Will have a look.

Ian

Anonymous

Grrrrrr – put a nice plastic tray under the engine and opened up the drain plug on the engine and drained the coolant.

Looked underneath and the tray was empty – bloody crack in the tray so all my work at trying to be neat and tidy now the restoration is done had failed ๐Ÿ˜•

Tomorrow, off with the water pump…. again

Anonymous

It’s one of the reasons I bit the bullet and bought a refurbished one from the Club.

BTW Fransen (and no doubt others) sell the oil filler pots, there just an interference fit.

You may want to order one and fit at the same time as your doing the pump bush

Anonymous

So I have stripped the water pump.

The brass bush was stuck hard on the water pump shaft. I had to damage it getting it off. Should the bush be solid in the pump housing with the shaft rotating inside the bush? I am assuming so or is it the other way round?

I have another bush on order but would be good to know.

The surface of the pump housing looks OK, I will gently sand off any rough edges but there is no corrosion like the other parts had.

I think the the water was being spun around the outer of the brass bush and pumped out of the oil filler ๐Ÿ˜•

Anonymous

I would have thought that the bush would be tight in the housing with the shaft spinning inside it?

Sounds like it seized due to lack of lubrication.

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

Rightio!

I did lubricate it, but I didn’t soak it.

The oil seemed to just come out and splatter inside the water pump, I keep putting new in but it just came out again. I will soak it this time and make sure the spindle spins nicely.

So touchy these little tractions, wonder how they lasted so long….. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

I am so tired of crappy parts.

Received the bearing bush for the water pump. Looked at it, could see it is not concentric, tried to slip it over the shaft. No way that is going to fit with out a good whack!! The tolerances on these are so tight I would have though the new parts would at least be quality checked before packing

I can only believe it was the same when I changed it before (a few months ago) and it then got caught on the shaft and caused the current problem.

More waiting and time is running out as I have my first “official” outing with the car very soon and I wanted to road test him properly.

[attachment=0:87f00tw3]IMG_1938.jpg[/attachment:87f00tw3]

Anonymous

I soaked the barrel in oil over night and took off any burrs on the shaft. Both slid on each other very well.

So I tapped in the barrel with the aid of the old one and built the pump back up.

There is still a tiny leak – not sure from where, but I think the bottom of the shaft. – it is not bubbling out like before but I will run it in a little more and see.

In hindsight it was probably better to go for a new pump as the spares don’t seem to be up to the job. But I will see how it goes.

Ian

Anonymous

Given all the hassle, dodgy parts etc. it’s the reason I went for a TOC club stores rebuilt one with a bit of a guarantee

If it’s only a small leak, lay a cloth over the top of the gearbox to soak any drips up until you see what happens going forward.

Anonymous

I am so fed up with this pump.

How much are the club replacements and is it an exchange policy.

I am back in the UK on Tuesday so could pick one up (going to Cardiff, anyone on the way from Newhaven)

Ian

Anonymous

Ian,
                                Best to ring +44 1243 511 378 and check with Chris Treagust as to whether he has one in stock and what the arrangements are (exhange or otherwise).

Anonymous

They are exchange Mick and he gets them repaired here in the UK.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                                • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.