Leaking Water Pump

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I just looked up the price – they are pretty expensive even with exchange of my old (new) pump. Works out €228 where on CAS-shop they are €164.

Shame the pound is so strong at the moment, but it is still £174. Why are club spares more expensive…. just a question, not having a go but still a little frustrating.

Ian

Anonymous
        Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

I am back in the UK on Tuesday so could pick one up (going to Cardiff, anyone on the way from Newhaven)

Ian

Bad timing. I am due to go to Norway on Tuesday but may be delayed….can always email me nearer the time…

Anonymous

Any tips for getting the seal over the collet grove without damaging the seal as I have just done?

Nigel

Anonymous

Which seal – the springy one. This should just slide on.

Anonymous

Put packing tape or similar over the groove and the front shouldered bit and the seal will slide on undamaged. Use a little silicone lube to be safe.

Anonymous

Yes the springy one, the groove took a nick out of the seal as I pushed it on, its quite tight compared with the old one

Nigel

Anonymous

Relating to the matter of bushes for the light 15 water pump, look carefully at what you get from your supplier. They are supposed to be sintered brass or bronze, you fill them with oil and gently squeeze the ends between your thumb and fore finger and watch the oil ooze out of the pores. The bushes I was sent were NOT porous, I had to drill a hole down through the oil feeder to get oil in. I have since discovered that these porous types of bushes are available from most bearing suppliers and not only that there is something even better now available, read the following extract,

“Composite bearing material conisting of 3 bonded layers; Steel backing bonded with porous sintered bronze interlayer which is impregnated and overlaid with polytetrafluroethylene (PTFE).
                    Operating Temperature -200o to 280o Celsius. Maximum load 250N/mm2. Requires No lubrication, provides maintenance free operation. Exhibits low wear rate, Seizure resistant. High Static and Dynamic Load capacity, Good frictional properties with negligible stick-slip. Resists Solvents, Compact and light. No water Absorption, Electrically conductive and shows no electrostatic effects, Good embedability and is tolerant of dusty environments.”

I am in the process of fitting these to all the dry linkages of the gear selectors which should take out a lot of the free play for the gear changes and keep it that way.
                    Peter

Anonymous

Sounds like the kind of technical advance Andre C himself would approve of 😀

Anonymous

Now you tell me !!

Anonymous

Ditto

Anonymous

Rightio – brand new water pump.

Water is leaking from the oil filler at the top – just like the photo at the top of this thread (my old water pump).

Is this just because the bush needs to soak up the oil. How does it do this if it is forced out by the water….. or is my new pump a duffer 🙁

Anonymous

Does the water come out when engine is hot or cold? Like you I cannot see how the oil can stop the water which would be under pressure when hot. I wonder if it is coming from around the outside of the bush.

Anonymous

If water is getting as far as the oiler then it must be getting past the seal or a fracture somewhere in the casing.

Anonymous

Sorry but as Nigel says, water is getting past the seal. I would get whoever sold you it to replace it, but a replacement is likely to be as bad if they haven’t machined the face where the seal fits.

The one I got from TOC spares hasn’t leaked.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
                                • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.