Leaking Water Pump

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

Of course you could go electric………………………..

Electric water pump?

I think it is more the fact that Citroen designed a water pump that was outside the motor and hence prone to leaking. I suppose when they were new and not pitted from rust attack they worked fine. But what is the purpose of the open axle and even more, the big hole that lets the water run all over the clutch 😯

Anonymous

TA was originally designed to be fitted with an auto gearbox so no clutch… However Citroen couldn’t get it to stop overheating and ‘cobbled’ together the manual gearbox and linkage and just never went back to the original planned setup.

Anonymous

@NormanAnderson wrote:

Ian, thanks for the heads up. Was just about to send my water pump off to CAS. I won’t now!
          Perhaps the best place to send it will be to Chris at the TOC club shop after all.

Hi Norman
          They are sending me another one. They say that they are tested for 24 hours, but I suppose a leak will only get through once the oil has disappeared. I will hopefully get this swapped out next week and will be able to tell you if it is OK.

I am sure most of the pumps are from the same refurb factory anyway.

Ian

Anonymous

Yes electric water pump. I have one on my MGF. I hope the replacement works.

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

will hopefully get this swapped out next week and will be able to tell you if it is OK.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I’m a long way off water pumps anyway, so it can wait. The old pump is just sitting on the bench staring at me…

Borrowed a car trailer for Wednesday next week when I will ship the sorry mess to Mark the welder to weave his magic. Hopefully it will start to look more like a car and less like a bucket of rust. I might even start to like the thing…

Anonymous

New pump arrived – will get on and fit it and see what happens

Anonymous

Good luck Ian. Hope this one finally does the job.

Anonymous

@NormanAnderson wrote:

@tripyrenees wrote:

will hopefully get this swapped out next week and will be able to tell you if it is OK.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I’m a long way off water pumps anyway, so it can wait. The old pump is just sitting on the bench staring at me…

Borrowed a car trailer for Wednesday next week when I will ship the sorry mess to Mark the welder to weave his magic. Hopefully it will start to look more like a car and less like a bucket of rust. I might even start to like the thing…

If you ever need any help or just someone to moan at give me a shout and I will come and help. I have my own to do but having bought rust bucket MGs in the past I know how disheartening it can be.

Anonymous

New pump in and so far no obvious leaks (except for my inlet pipe that is getting rather worn after so many water pump installations 🙁

Need to give the engine a good thrashing to test it but first need to sort out my rear engine mount and that “booming” noise (see my other thread on this)

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

If you ever need any help or just someone to moan at give me a shout and I will come and help. I have my own to do but having bought rust bucket MGs in the past I know how disheartening it can be.

That’s very kind of you, much appreciated. I need all the help and advice I can get!

Anonymous

Test run done at all speeds (due to speedo going faulty, using GPS) – nice 125 kph on the flat.

And no leaks at all. First time I have not had a leak from the water pump since doing the car. 😀 😀

Job Done!!

Anonymous

Glad to hear that it is all working fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
                          • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.