Light 15 Gearbox query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi All

I have a couple of question on the Light 15 gearbox I would like some advise on whilst I have my box stripped for inspection/repair please.

Firstly if I support the crown wheel assembly in the vice and rotate one of the drive flanges I get quite a loud clicking/knocking from it in both directions but on strip down can’t see anything obvious or is this noise normal?

Secondly regards the syncho hub, on dismantling it I found the centre splines of the groups of three to which the detent balls run on to be worn, is there any reason I cannot rotate the center section round one spline so the balls run on virgin spline?

Regards
      Nigel

Anonymous

I think it may not be normal- I have an old diff sitting in a box and I just now turned the drive shafts and it makes a soft, gentle (no other way to put it) clicking sound which sounds normal to me. I don’t see why you can’t move the inner and outer parts of the sychromesh to new splines, but the main thing is to change the balls and springs. A decent manual gearbox shop should be able to do it as was done for me a few years ago.

Anonymous

Many thanks for your comments, since my 1st post I have rebuilt my gearbox and now there is some oil in it the noise is nearer as you decribe it in yours, also the sync hub has been rebuilt with new balls but not springs and shifted round one spline on assembly so once engine is rebuilt and fitted I will post a further comments.

Nigel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.