Main Bearing Torque

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I have just replaced the perfo main bearings having had the crank reground and I am looking for the correct torque to apply to the main bearing carriers.
      Also what is the correct torque for the nuts retaining the cylinder head
      I am sure there are a few people out there who have carried out this work and can advise me
      Thanks in anticipation

Anonymous

Hi Graham,

I haven’t tried it myself but had a quick look in the 1956 reprint of the ’38 – 50 manual – so as a starter, the official numbers are:

Page 23 of the manual states 50 1/2 foot pounds for the main bearing caps

Page 26 states “Fit and tighten cylinder head nuts in the order indicated (see
        Drawing 5) (first tightening 3 mkg. (21 1/2 foot pounds), second tightening 5 mkg. (36 foot
        pounds). These two tightenings are of great importance, therefore a torsion wrench is
        essential. Adhere strictly to the sequence of tightening. Invert the engine. It is an
        advantage to use stand MR.3300_20 (see Drawing 17A, fig.1). Check by use of gauge or
        comparator 2440-T for any distortion in the bores of the barrels. Distortion must not
        exceed 0.03 mm. except in the lower part of barrel, up to 20 mm. from bottom, where 0.05 mm.
        is permitted. If distortion exceeds these tolerances, remove cylinder head and replace
        lower joints on barrels by thinner ones. Refit cylinder head and check barrels again for
        distortion. When correct reading of barrel bores has been obtained, do not touch cylinder
        head again.”

Chris

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.