New Member – Dave Watkin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi, my name’s Dave Watkin and I’m hoping to buy a Traction later this year – I live in North Hampshire near Aldershot and cars have been a passion all of my adult life. I’m a regular visitor to France both for work and for pleasure, and last year I saw some classic French cars at a small car show, which sparked my interest, followed the same weekend by finding a lovely 1:43 scale model for sale in Amiens (La Route Bleu – Altaya) of a small boot Traction Avant (it’s sitting proudly on my desk now). I learnt more about the Traction and both the fabulous looks and ground-breaking engineering really appeal to me. A long-time pal is really into his classic Citroens (he owns an early 2CV and a DS) and he has encouraged me further – I have read the Jon Pressnell book from cover to cover and now can’t wait to start looking for one of my own to drive and carry out a ‘rolling restoration’ (but of course when funds permit!).

Something perhaps interesting that Citroen, the Traction and I have in common is that I was born and lived in Slough till my twenties and my first real job was next to the Citroen building near Slough railway station. That was in the eighties though, so sadly no beautiful Tractions to see!

My other car interests are a little more modern – my wife and I currently own a 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 and are active members of the owners club, attending a number of shows during the summer months – however although we love the Skyline, I think it’s time for a ‘proper’ classic and the Citroen really fits the bill!

Looking forward to chatting with you all and hopefully meeting some owners/fans as the year goes on. If anyone on here lives nearby (M4/M3 corridor), please give me a shout 🙂

Cordialement! Dave W

Anonymous

Welcome Dave.

Anonymous

Welcome. I am a new member myself. Looked at Tractions back in the early 1980’s but only got mine in September last year.
          I did everything people say you should not do and bought off of e bay unseen in the flesh the first car I saw. My luck was in and it had turned out to be a great car. I am at present pulling it apart to do a few jobs. New complete interior, though the old one was not that bad. New rain gutters either side of the roof. New doors, the only area of rust on the whole car. Conversion to 12V electrics and a full rewire. Fitting electric power steering. Followed up by a respray.
          Next year 4 speed gearbox and ID engine swap plus fitting external oil pump and filter system.
          I am so glad I finally got my car.

Anonymous

@Den Hewitt wrote:

Welcome Dave.

Thanks Den, nice collection 🙂 …. just one would do me for now!

Cheers, Dave W

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

Welcome. I am a new member myself. Looked at Tractions back in the early 1980’s but only got mine in September last year.
              I did everything people say you should not do and bought off of e bay unseen in the flesh the first car I saw. My luck was in and it had turned out to be a great car. I am at present pulling it apart to do a few jobs. New complete interior, though the old one was not that bad. New rain gutters either side of the roof. New doors, the only area of rust on the whole car. Conversion to 12V electrics and a full rewire. Fitting electric power steering. Followed up by a respray.
              Next year 4 speed gearbox and ID engine swap plus fitting external oil pump and filter system.
              I am so glad I finally got my car.

Wow! Brave man…. but sounds like exactly what I’d do myself, lol. I’m not sure I’d be brave enough to do the ID swap but the electric PS sounds a good idea. I was at a VW autojumble late last year with a pal (who is so inclined!) and saw a conversion aimed at camper van owners. Looked very subtle.

Thanks for the welcome!

Dave W

Anonymous

Hi Dave
                Welcome – I have had my Traction 2 years now. Given to me by my neighbour (he asked me to drag it out of his barn to take to the scrapyard, or I could keep it).

I did everything on it, not have any experience before, so all jobs are possible.

there are plenty of cars out there, specially here in France. If you need any help with the Le Bon Coin site then let me know as the Frenchies tend not to reply to jolly foreigner.

Hope you find one soon

Ian

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

Hi Dave
                  Welcome – I have had my Traction 2 years now. Given to me by my neighbour (he asked me to drag it out of his barn to take to the scrapyard, or I could keep it).

I did everything on it, not have any experience before, so all jobs are possible.

there are plenty of cars out there, specially here in France. If you need any help with the Le Bon Coin site then let me know as the Frenchies tend not to reply to jolly foreigner.

Hope you find one soon

Ian

Thanks Ian, much appreciated! I may just take you up on your offer when the time comes 🙂

Cheers, Dave

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

They probably all have seen Mike Brewer on Wheeler Dealers buying a DS, knocking the price down 😈

Dave remember to ‘Try before you buy’ – have a drive of both Slough RHD and French LHD cars before making any quick decisions, oh and measure your garage as some of those Familiale and Comercialle’s whilst desireable, are too long for many modern garages.

Oh and however nice one may look, be prepared to have to spend some money on it…….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Introduce Yourself’ is closed to new topics and replies.