Solex 32 PBIC Carburettor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi All, I’m having trouble setting up the carburettor on my Light 15. It’s running very rich, to the extent that quite a lot of petrol is coming out of the overflow. It’s possible that the carb is a copy of the Solex 32 and I have read that many people have trouble with these. No amount of adjustment seems to stop it running rich. I’m loath to spend £120+ on a new Solex 32 copy after the reports I have read about them. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any unhelpful, but amusing ones might also be worth posting.

Anonymous

Marc,
        There is a guide on tuning the PB321C in the TOC Technical Library, here: http://traction-owners.co.uk/members_only/tech/Brochures/Solex/Solex%20PB.pdf

Please note that the Username and Password that you are prompted to enter are those that were on the confirmation of subscription letter that you received when you subscribed for the current year.
        If you have misplaced these, please contact the membership secretary (membership@traction-owners.co.uk)

Anonymous

…………..

Anonymous

Also in addition to Den’s comments, remove the overflow pipe and make sure that the very fine bleed hole behind it into the manifold is clear.

If you want to try a different Solex Copy Carb let me know and I’ll post you mine. It was running OK whilst I had the original overhauled.

I suspect yours is an original if the car has been off the road that long, it will have solex cast into it (copies don’t) and will have a serial number stamped into the top by the fuel inlet, copies don’t.

Anonymous

………..

Anonymous

Is that what the little dangly pipe is out of the manifold is for ❓

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

Isn’t it supposed to be slightly pinched closed or is it left fully open to the width of the tube? ❓

Anonymous

…………..

Anonymous

Thank you all for your comments. I’ll check the bleed hole, needle valve and float. It could well be one of these that is causing the problem. I’ve had the car just under a year. It was running a little rich when I got it, but gradually got worse. The car has been off the road for a few months while the gearbox was overhauled. It is highly likely that the carb needs a good clean. That’s my weekend sorted out then.

Anonymous

1 other thing to ask, what spark plugs are you using?

I had ‘black plugs’ and assumed that the carb was running rich but a colortune test said different, so I fitted some ‘hotter’ plugs which did improve things.

I have since changed again to EYQUEM N 43 F3+1 and the car starts and runs much better.

Also make sure that the engine is run up to temperature before checking the plugs colour.

Anonymous

Does anyone know of someone who can check out my carburettor? I’m still having trouble getting the car to run properly. The carb is a copy of a Solex 32, not an original. There seems to be far too much petrol getting into the inlet manifold, to the extent that quite a bit of petrol comes out of the inlet manifold overflow tube. The float and needle valve all seem to be OK. I’ve replaced all the gaskets on the carb and cleaned all jets, mixture screws etc. No amount of twiddling the various screws seems to have any effect.

Anonymous

……………..

Anonymous

hmmm, I need to check that. Howe did you check the pressure.

I have an electric feel pump feeding the manual at the moment. Can’t see any leakage though.

Anonymous

I never even considered the fuel pump to be a problem. I’ll certainly check that this weekend. Thank you for the tip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.