TORSION BAR ADJUSTMENT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello all. I feel a bit silly asking such an elementary question but I must. I am trying to adjust the height of the rear suspension on the passenger side. I can release the nut on the link bar but nothing else will move. So I applied heat to the block that the threaded part of the link arm runs through but still no movement. Does the block have a thread in it? Or is it just rusted solid?

Anonymous

I am just about to strip mine down and clean it up all.

But in the meantime here is a diagram showing the thread.

[attachment=0:31198wfk]rear axle.jpg[/attachment:31198wfk]

Anonymous

The thing to do is remove the clips 420953 and knock out the pin 420921. You may need to use heat. One you have the forward end of the threaded rod free, the rest comes out easily. You have to take all the weight off the car suspension, so jack the car under the sill with a block of wood. Once you have the threaded bit off, you might need heat to make the nut move. Clean it all up on a wire wheel and put a bit of oil on the threads and put it back together. Before reinstalling it and with the car on the jack, quickly release the jack and let the car drop. This will free up the suspension. the car will drop to the ground, but no harm done. Then, with the large nut free to move on the rod, reinstall it and move the nut to where it should be using a 23mm spanner, still with the weight off the suspension. You may need to hammer on the link where the free end (420919) attaches.Hammer, then make a turn with the spanner. It will go. Make an adjustment and drop the car each time until it’s where you want it. That’s what I did on both of my cars. It’s not hard to do.

Anonymous

Thanks for the adivce. The problem is where the threaded bar goes through the part 420919. The nut is free but only to undo. Do you still suggest I remove the other end first?

Anonymous

It’s easiest to take the whole thing out as I described. The nut will not move 420919 if there is weight on the suspension. The nut sits to the front of 420919, it is moved by the nut and is not threaded. Once you get it out, you’ll see what is needed. You’ll need a long drift (to reduce the chances of smacking something you don’t want to) and at least a 2 pound hammer to knock out the forward pin but it will go with some gentle persuasion. The threaded pin will probably not just drop out, but you can pry it out of the front holder without any harm. Likely everything is covered in years of crud and undercoating. That all had to be scraped off of my 11B to see the clips holding 420921 in place.

Anonymous

Thanks. That did it. A life time of crud put up some resistance but the job is done. Thank you………….Peter

Anonymous

cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.