Trafficator and vent flap On 1950 slough light 15

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Help Wanted Trafficator and vent flap On 1950 slough light 15

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Can some one help please?
      Two questions
      1. should there be a seal of some sort on the trafficator to stop water entering the car. At the moment i can’t see what will stop water coming in to the door post and then in to the sill. Or is this why the suffer from tin worm in these areas

2. On the vent flap on top of the scuttle. What mechanism works this? At present I have a hinge and the flap no sign of and sort of adjuster. I can see from the parts list that there should be a thumb screw. Could someone help with a list of components I would require. I have been told that these are secured closed by some owners ?

Any help would be appreciated

Steve I

Anonymous

1. as far as I am aware there is no ‘seal’ around the trafficator. If there was it would tend to stick so make sure that there are drain holes in the sill so the water can run out and also inject it with Dynax or Waxoyl etc.

BTW the doors are the same (no seals to the glass) so make sure that the drain holes in those are clear as well 😀

As for the vent flap, when you lift it up (assuming it’s not sealed down) can you see a lugged nut part 221.333 aka this page: http://www.citroen-traction-avant.com/Content/C_Produkte.aspx?SPR=4&KATSEITE=056 you would also need 221.153 ‘Endless screw air screen control’ plus 221.811 ‘thumb nut air screen control plus 224.381 ‘Tube 145 mm for endless screw air screen control’ to make up the full control.

Basically the parts marked in Red on the image below stand vertically from the bottom of the dash up into the scuttle vent between the ashtray and gear lever opening (shows a French Car but principle is the same)

Chris at TOC Spares should have all in stock

Anonymous

What you can do is take some of the material used to make flexible refrigerator magnets and cut a piece to cover the trafficator for when you wash the car and it could be left in place, assuming that they aren’t in use. Or remove them when the car is clean. I suppose a larger piece would help seal the cowl vent as well. I think a piece here, cut slightly larger than the vent door and with rounded corners wouldn’t look too offensive. Somebody must sell the stuff in sheets somewhere.

Anonymous

I like the idea of a cover plate using strip magnet but the semiphores do work and I was trying to find out if there was something missing from my car. On the Rilye the semophours sit in a box with a gasket. This stops water getting in.

On a different note I saw a lovely use of magnets last weekend. A guy had fitted a small driving glad to the front of the car with a magnet just took it off when not wanted. No drilling no mes lovely and simple.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try to make a box to fit in the piller .

Anonymous

Thanks for the input. on the diagram I can see the part 221.333 does this move up and down as you turn the screw? If it does it must be fixed to the flap in some way? I can’t see any brackets or fixings that this part fixes to. It may be the bits that are missing were removed to fit the 4 speed gear selector mechanism. As the dash is out at the moment I’ll take a photo later and post it, that may help to identify what’s missing.

Yours steve I

Anonymous

Yes, it should be located on a bracket welded to the vent flap itself. It can swivel to allow for the flap going up and down, but it’s the flap that moves.

The screw spindle simply turns and pushes the flap up and down to open/close.

Anonymous

I’ve now taken a couple of photos of the rear of the dash. I’m sure I may have a bit missing? I have looked on the flap and there are no fixing holes on the flap apart from the hinge mounting.

Anonymous

That is correct from your image.

The cover itself has the swivel on and bolts to the bracket you can see in your image. It’s awkward to fit and really needs a magnetic screwdriver to get the machine screws in or a bit of blue tack on the head and a bit of patience…… 🙄

Anonymous

Steve, What is a driving glad?

Anonymous

Sorry. it should have read “driving flag” it was a small pennant on the front of the car bonnet

Anonymous

………..

Anonymous

Just found an article in floating power which should help. Go to the archive http://traction-owners.co.uk/members_only/magazine_back_issues.shtml – 2012 Volume 36 issue 1 for some nice images and a detailed explanation of how to fit it together to keep your feet dry……..

Anonymous

Took mine out to try and stop a leak…….. 🙄

Here’s a picture of what the underside of the actual flap should look like with the endless screw and swivel in place

The bracket on the back is what fastens to the hinge on the car with 3 M5 bolts

Anonymous

A light bulb just flashed. Now I understand I’m missing the little bracket. Thanks for the help.

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

Just found an article in floating power which should help. Go to the archive http://traction-owners.co.uk/members_only/magazine_back_issues.shtml – 2012 Volume 36 issue 1 for some nice images and a detailed explanation of how to fit it together to keep your feet dry……..

Just wondering as this is the TOC forum whether you could post that article up. It is not on the Technical articles section of the web site (that sort of ends 2008). I have mine out and ready to restore so good timing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.