1950 Slough built TA wiper spindle and arms

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior 1950 Slough built TA wiper spindle and arms

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jack Peppiatt
    Participant

I have just purchased a wiper arm for my 1950 Slough built Traction from Club Spares. It came with an insert, which is to be removed leaving the tightening nut and a split collet inside. It has however too large an internal diameter to tighten on to the wiper spindle. The existing arm on the car is a tighter fit and can be made to grip the spindle.

Has anyone else had this experience, Chris says he has sold lots of these without any complaints? Is mine a rogue item or do they all not fit and members have “got-over-it?”.

Thanks for any assistance

Jack

Jack Peppiatt
      Participant

Well in case anyone is interested the solution was to buy an arm from Holdens. It fits, it is better quality than the Club spare and not a lot of difference in the price.

Chris
        Participant

Thanks Jack – that’s good to know. I’ll let Chris T know.

Chris

Bernie
          Participant

Jack,

Thank you.  This is exactly the kind of feedback we need if we are to continue to service the needs of members with Slough cars for which various parts are not so readily available as they are for French models.

B…

John Moon
            Participant

I replaced my wiper arms last year from “Vintage Supplies” based in Malvern; I suspect they are the same make as those from Holden referred to above.  I did some research trying to find arms that would fit but also produced a larger spring force on the blades to wipe the screen better.  The originals on my Slough car were pretty hopeless.  I am pleased with these new arms, they work much more effectively and look well made.  They were roughly the same price as the Club Spares.

Bernie
              Participant

Thanks, John.

In  my eyes the issue is not just price but suitability.

Jack has highlighted the fact that the TOC is apparently stocking and supplying wiper arms that are inferior and/or not fit for purpose for Slough cars.  The TOC must be made aware of any such experiences  because, without feedback like this – and appropriate investigation and necessary action, the Club’s reputation as a supplier is almost certainly going to suffer.

B……

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.