6 volt Battery Pack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi

Has anyone seen or found a 6 volt jump start battery pack for sale,my traction is still on 6 volt and I want to keep it original,but I want to have the back up of a jump start kit if I get caught out,but I cannot find any for sale in the UK

regards

Alan

Bernie
      Participant

Alan,

I appreciate this does not strictly answer your question but the following may eliminate some hassle, save you some money and leave just a bit more space in the already small boot of a pre-war Légère …….

I think you may be attempting to but a sledge hammer to crack a nut.  As you know, I owned your car for 28 years and in that time my batteries all lasted between 9 and 12 years.  I must admit it did fail to turn over and start once – but only once in all that time.  The occasion was the 2009, 75th anniversary meeting, in Arras when I had left the car parked in the Grand Place for 3 days with a voltage converter plugged in and switched on.  That incident was not only embarrassing but also extremely galling because I later learned that satnavs and mobile phones only  require a 4.5V input and the converter was therefore completely unnecessary.  Bummox!

The first important factor to good starting is a decent battery – I recommend Lincon Batteries who can not only supply classic units (with exposed links) but will deliver to a UK address.   https://www.lincon.co.uk/

An excellent earth between the engine and battery is also important as is a good power supply to the starter motor itself.  If the car is to stand for more than a week or so I also recommend using a “smart” charger such as the Accumate 6/12V.  They retail around the £40 mark but I have found them, second hand on e-Bay, for under £30 each and some years ago I invested in 2 (one each for the Traction and Cloverleaf).  I find them invaluable.

I hope this will help somebody, if not Alan ………..

B……………………

TOC Helpline
        Participant

Hi Bernie,

Although not recommended, I used a 12 volt unit to help start my car before I restored it. If you disconnect the Regulator, it should cause any damage.

Provided your starter is in good order, it shouldn’t cause it any problems; as I have had my 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system for the last 24 years!

TOC Helpline
          Participant

Sorry Alan; thought Bernie posted the question

Anonymous

Hi

That’s alright I am still looking for a 6v jump start as insurance really because if I did get a non start I am sure a breakdown service would not be able to cope with 6v

regards

Alan

TOC Helpline
              Participant

A lot of people would consider putting a 12volt battery across a 6 volt system, and I would agree, but if it is an emergency…….

Roger Grix
                Participant

http://www.toolclub.nl/techem/default.asp?sid=pVEBknSsO7FCntbgdwPOfPm78ubowt&page=detail&id=1476582

Available from Netherlands but at €1400 you may not be too keen.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/ceteor/product-111565-1279837.html

Appears to be the US – have to contact them for a quote – I suspect it will be expensive.

http://www.batterychargers.com/sc1308/

These people appear to be a Belgian company associated with the previous one – (Ceteor) and going under the name of Schumacher Electrical.

Along with others, they seem to have battery chargers which act as boosters as well.  This one says 100A starting current and reckons it is suitable for starting SUVs.

I am not sure how far 100A goes for a 6V starter.  Seems a bit light to me.

https://www.ceteor.com/en/about-us/the-company

These things do seem to be out there but all seem VERY expensive.  I wonder if it would be possible to take a centre tap off the batteries of a 12 volt unit and give yourself two 6V boosters in one box.

Surely there are people in Europe driving around in 6V VWs, Porsches, Fiats, Tractions, 2CVs, Peugeots, etc. that have solved this problem.  When I am next in France, I can ask my tame garagiste or maybe one of our members permanently in France can dig around.

Good Luck

Anonymous

Hi Roger

Thanks

I found the Ceteor on a UK Distributor site the could order me the 6v/12v unit at £1175 yes it is just too expensive

regards

Alan

Bernie
                    Participant

This all brings me back to the question … do you really need such a back-up?

As I have said before, in the 28 years that I owned it, Alan’s car only ever failed to start on the battery once.  That was entirely my own fault for having left it parked for 3 days with the 6/12V converter switched on during the 75th meeting in Arras but …. even then, it started on the handle (courtesy of dear old Alec Bilney!).

If one really wants a back-up, just stick a spare fully charged 6V battery in the boot – and if you want to go the whole hog, it can be wired in with a split relay to keep it charged for little more than a couple of squids.

B………………

Roger Grix
                      Participant

I do have a 12 Volt booster.  I was forced into buying it when I had a battery problem when returning from France and could not get the battery out because the clamping bolt was corroded. (Not on a Traction, a Renault Mégane).

I have used it about twice since, when I left the headlights on on our Jimny (no warning buzzer). It is very good for testing things like lights and horns.

I am inclined to agree that, even with 6V electrics, it is not a necessity.  Just make sure that you buy a decent battery and carry a starting handle.

And don’t let helpful people bump start it for you 🙁

And don’t leave the lights on.

Roger

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.