Advice please on registering a French registered car in the UK

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions Advice please on registering a French registered car in the UK

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Non Member
    Participant

I bought my 1954 Paris built Familliale and joined the club over 11 years ago,  although she was running she was very tatty so I decided to restore her and didn’t put her on the road. Progress has been slow. Now with enforced free time I’m working on her and hope to get her on the road again later this year.

I bought her from a man in Yorkshire who in turn had bought her four years earlier and brought her to the UK.  I have a Certificat d’immatriculation from 2004 in the name of its last French owner,  I have a “certificat de cession d’un vehicule” with “vendu le 9/11/04”, written across the front,  passing the car to the Yorkshire man and then  an eBay receipt when I bought it.

Before I put her back on the road I intend to get an MOT to check her safety, but do I need the MOT first before I register? Or can I register first.  If anybody can give me advice on how to go about getting a UK registration preferably with a year related number, I would be very grateful.

Alistair Hale

Bernie
      Participant

Alistair,

I bought and imported my 15/6 in October 2016.  To register it, I submitted a completed DVLA document V55/5 together with the following docs:

Passport copy (to confirm my name)
        Copy Council Tax Demand (to confirm my address)
        Original French Registration Doc (Carte Grise)
        Cheque for £55.00
        NOVA Importation Acknowledgement (confirming import duty paid)
        Numerous photos including clear pictures of the chassis and engine plates
        Vehicle authentication certificate (issued by TOC valuations Officer)
        Some other French docs received with the car.

All the above were sent on 1st November with a covering letter requesting an “Age Related” registration number be allocated.

I received a letter from the DVLA , dated November 11th, confirming acceptance of my application and advising the age-related registration number which had been allocated.

No MOT was required for the process but it had been tested using the chassis number as the vehicle’s ID.

Hope this helps,

B…..

Bernie
        Participant
          Non Member
          Participant

Thank you Bernie, you have been very helpful.

I’ve looked through the DVLA documents and many sections  refer to  “You do not need to fill this in if you are providing an IVA or MSVA certificate. I assume this is the ” Vehicle authentication certificate (issued by TOC valuations Officer) ” that you refer to.

Perhaps you could let me know who that is and how to contact them.

The only problem I foresee is that I the previous owner (in Yorkshire) imported the car in 2004 but I have no written record of this or a receipt from NOVA Importation Acknowledgement (confirming import duty paid)

Do you think they will have a record of this 16 years on or should I start again?

Thanks Again

Alistair

Bernie
            Participant

Alistair,

The DVLA-recognised TOC Valuation and Authentication Officer is Steve Reed.  Steve is also responsible for the TOC “Hotline” so you can email him on this address:   hotline@traction-owners.co.uk

He will send you a form to complete and he would normally want to see the vehicle.  However, in light of the current plague situation he can work from photographs and he will send you a list of which shots are needed.

I have no experience of the procedure when there is no Nova certificate so I am afaid you are on your own …. unless somebody else can help?

If you manage to solve the problem without further forum input, perhaps you will post detail of your experience for any that may follow in similar footsteps

B……

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.