Another new member …..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello all!

I currently have no Traction but that should be remedied before Christmas. I’m not new to them or to classic cars for that matter; I chose a Traction as my first ever car back in 1969 (it cost me £48 – I haggled him down from £50, impressive eh?) and it spent the following 2 years at college with me…..dying slowly, until it reached the stage where it used nearly as much oil as petrol and I had a piece of motorcycle inner tube from the top of the rocker cover and down the side of the engine to direct the fumes from the crankcase under the car rather than into it. I have wanted another Traction for some years, not just because I have always loved the look, the mechanicals and the sheer style but also because it is the one car that my wife has not turned her nose up at and has (occasionally admittedly) actually encouraged me to buy one. Having had to talk to my feet as they stuck out from under various cars ever since we first met over 40 years ago, I suppose she has decided that this hobby can’t be all bad – or could it be that I had that first Traction when we met ………

Now I’m retired it is going to happen. HUzzah! Huzzah! and thrice Huzzah! – as they are wont to shout in Sharpe!

Anonymous

Hi
        Welcome to the forum and the club.
        Good luck with finding a suitable car, are you looking for a project or something already restored?
        If you have a look around, there are some interesting threads on the forum about various restoration projects and we have a stand at the upcoming Manchester Classic car Show in September, if you are in the area and fancy coming along for a chat. Similarly there will be a club stand at the NEC show in November.

Best wishes and please keep us up to date with your progress in finding a car.

Bryan

Anonymous

Thank you, Bryan,

Yes, I shall be going to the NEC in November and no doubt I will be along to see you – again – as I have the last 2 years!
          I’m currently in the throes of selling one of my ‘Muscle Cars’ to free up funds for the Traction. Building an extension means funds are a bit tight currently and I need to slim things down a bit anyway. My signature doesn’t include everything!

I have a couple of projects on the go at the moment and so I think I’ll be looking for a good car that just needs tidying and tlc. I’ve just retired from engineering so I have most of the skills required as well as a large workshop.

I’ve spent quite a while deciding which model to go for and I’ve narrowed it down to ’49 to ’51 Normale – French built, small boot and after helping my brother with a 1936 Light 12 he owned in the ’70s I’m also partial to Pilotes. I’m not yet totally familiar with all the confusing nomenclature that goes with Tractions (I thought Volvo Amazons were bad enough!) but no doubt some more reading and visits to the forum will straighten me out. I have been reading good things about Mr Gillard and he may well be my first port of call.

I’d better get out there and polish the Chevelle……. 🙂

Anonymous

’49 to ’51 Normale – French built, small boot

A great choice – my ’51 just took us to Arnhem and back for the ICCCR – we appreciated the space in the Normale over the 800 miles.
            Mind you, having spent two days looking at hundreds of Tractions of all ages, variants and conditions, I didn’t see one that I wouldn’t enjoy owning.
            Good luck with the seach and let us know what you get.
            Chris

Anonymous

@woderaider wrote:

I’m not yet totally familiar with all the confusing nomenclature that goes with Tractions (I thought Volvo Amazons were bad enough!) but no doubt some more reading and visits to the forum will straighten me out.

You may find this link useful as a potted history. Scroll down to find the Traction section.

Bryan

Anonymous

Hi Brian

I think you forgot the link! I can’t see it anywhere anyway.

Anonymous

My apologies.

http://archive.is/h0lK7

Also have a look on the Citroen Car Club website.

http://www.citroencarclub.org.uk/drupal/node/24

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘Introduce Yourself’ is closed to new topics and replies.