Bonnet fitment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dave Thornley
    Participant

Having just had the bonnet off to do a bit of fettling I am now at the stage of refitting it. I remember last time I took it off getting it back and all lined up was a right chore. Been fuffing for ages with it. Am I alone in thinking that the central chromed hinge could do with being about an inch longer?  I am assuming that the countersink bolts that pass through the fastening plates should also pass through the slot in the hinge itself.  If so why do mine not? Attached is a photo of the radaitor end. The windscreen end is attached but there is no further forward movement available. As you can see from the photo no way can the bolt pass through the hinge as well as the fastening plate. And even just clamping it a bit of the slot is visible. Am I missing something? Anyway its only 10.30 but I need a glass of wine.

catch

Paul Barnard
      Participant

David

The only thing that would, in effect, change the distance between the ends of the bonnet would be an alteration to the rake of the grille since the bulkhead end doesn’t move. Have you had the grille off as well as the bonnet?

it may be easiest to loosen all the screws and bolts that hold the grille to the wings and side panels, fit the bonnet and then tighten all those fasteners up with the bonnet now attached.
        Not saying this is what it is ….but this is what I did with a similar situation a while ago.

regards

Paul B

Dave Thornley
        Participant

Yes have had the grille off. I thought could it be that but there is no way the grille can move sufficiently to take up that gap so gave up on that approach. Will do as you say loosen the grille up as much as possible and try a bit of persuasion.

Thanks

Chris
          Participant

Hi David,

The bolt should pass through the hinge. From memory the nut that it goes into should be free to slide. In the picture it looks like yours might be too far forward – any change it has become stuck and can’t slide? You can see from this picture that mine isn’t the best fit. With the grille pushed back as far as possible there’s still a large gap at the front and the back. It always takes a bit of jiggling to get the screws to go in. Other cars get a better fit but I can’t see how to do it on mine.

Chris

IMG_3085IMG_3084

Dave Thornley
            Participant

Hi  Paul.

After spending most of today pushing , pulling and shoving, accompanied by lots of swearing I have finally got there. Everything fits and lines up reasonably well. As good as I think is possible, like Chris says in his reply the gaps are never the same all round but as long as nothing catches or looks too odd great.

Hi Chris

Not sure what nut you are referring to as the bonnet hinge end and the clamping piece screw into a threaded bit of metal at both bulkhead and grille ends. The back and forth movement is only allowed by the slot in the hinge end plates. As you say one will never get a perfect fit as there are so many variables. Anyway am happy with it now.

Thanks guys.

Dave Thornley
              Participant

Meant to post a couple of pics but they are here now.

P8033021P8033025

Chris
                Participant

That looks to be a perfect fit. Well done!

I’ll have to have a closer look at mine.

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.