Clayton heater

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Walker
    Participant

I’ve a Clayton six volt heater, which I want to fit in the Normale. However, I’ve only the vaguest idea how to fit it, despite having had one (25 years ago!) in a Traction. I’m reasonably handy with copper pipe, and a drill, but I’d be glad if someone with a heater could show me how to?  Ta very much, Tim

Jack Peppiatt
      Participant

Hi Tim,

I fitted a 12v Clayton to my 1950 TA about 3 years ago, it is a great heater. I used gfn T’s and fittings and an inline T/Stat in the top hose beyond the heater T.

There is a control valve in the flow hose which has a Citroen based control below the dash. I used a Smiths rheostat as a switch and fan speed controller.

I remove the T/Stat in warmer months as a precaution.

TA15 - 1

TA15 - 2

TA15 - 3

TA15 - 4

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Jack Peppiatt.
        Tim Walker
        Participant

Hello Jack,

Very elegant! I love the on/ off switch below the dash….where did you get it? I’ve not thought of a rheostat, seems obvious now you mention it. I’d thought of a downstream thermostat before the rad, because (in the 7c) we’d get cold and the water never got above 40 deg. I put a 4mm hole in the thermostat because I didn’t want the radiator to freeze. The current one has an adjustable blind between the rad and grille, as well, so we’ve thought of everything….except salt…on the roads….oh dear!

Jack Peppiatt
          Participant

Hi Tim,

The valve control is a Citroen advance/retard dash lever, I made the ali bracket and got a local Trophy firm to engrave the legend and arrows. I thought it looked in keeping. In my set-up the water is pumped out of the head towards the radiator header tank. I have T’ed off to the heater at that point, so that it gets hot water as soon as its hot. The inline t/stat is next in line with 3 x 6mm bleed holes drilled to allow some circulation, then the water gets into the header tank. If the heater valve is closed all the flow goes through the radiator.

I find that the car is toasty even down to 5 degC,  a friend traveling with me recently complained he was too hot, I take this as a success. The only annoyance is that the wire winding on the heating pipes in the Clayton heater, vibrate at certain speeds, which I find irritating. I am gradually packing them with pieces of leather to reduce the buzz.

Enjoy the heat, oh and avoid the salt!

Jack

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Jack Peppiatt.
            Tim Walker
            Participant

Hello Jack,

Wonderful, ta very much. The current car is a ’53 Normale, which I’m rebuilding- actually, I’m waiting for the doorskins and wing bottoms to be welded, and then for a respray. Neither of which I can do myself…..the rest of it works well, and it’s only done 80000km. Original interior, too, it had covers on the seats from new hence they are in perfect condition.

Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.