Engine coolant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Garrett Maguire
    Participant

Hi there to all fellow members.

I am new to the Citroen traction owners club. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on an issue I am having. The coolant leaves a large puddle on the garage floor after a drive. The leak seems to be from the overflow tube on the side of the radiator. I have flushed the system with a system cleaner and refilled it with coolant, but the problem persists. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks Garrett.

Bernie
      Participant

Morning Garrett & welcome to the TOC.

First thought …. are you possibly overfilling your cooling system?  The coolant level only needs to be about half inch above the top of the cores of the rad.

If your engine is not apparently overheating, it is possible the puddles are simply the result of expansion and the subsequent expulsion of excess coolant.

I would  sugfwst you check fluid level after you have “puddled”.  If it is still covering the cores do not add more but monitor again after the next run – and so on.  If there are no problems in the system it should eventually find its own level and only require occasional checks thereafter.

However, if the puddles continue and the coolant level continues to drop below the level of the header tank, you are likely to have an overheating problem and that is most likely due to silting of the rad and/or the block.

B…..

Garrett Maguire
        Participant

Thanks Bernie, ok well I wasnt sure of the correct level so, thanks for that. I have replaced the seal on the rad filler cap and changed the engine oil today. I also flushed out the cooling system so will give it a run tomorrow . Thanks for your advice, Garrett.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.