Fan belt fitting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Do any of you clever and learned people have a top tip/demon tweak to help this engineering Numpty?
      My previous fan belts have been of the toothed variety and have JUST, by carefully putting the crank pulley flange into one of the “v”s, squeezed through the gap between the crank pulley and the cross member.( Slough Lt15). My new belt is the correct solid type and there is no way on this planet it will go through without either removing the pulley (NO desire to start playing with that!) or safely jacking the engine up a bit.
      Any thoughts? Does anybody else have such tiny clearance?
      Just thankful I opted to do this at home as opposed to the side of the road in the dark like last time!!
      Holding my breath,,,,,,,,
      Cheers

Anonymous

…………….

Anonymous

Thanks Den,
          That’s what I’ve been trying to do. Never had this much of a problem before so can only assume engine has moved? Gap is about 5mm and although I’ve never measured it, I’m sure it was bigger before. I’m thinking I’ll try and find a modern slim line belt or nick a pair of B’s stockings to get me down the road a few miles so I can call the AA to fit my “spare”!! See how he copes.
          Thanks
          J

Anonymous

John Gillard told me that on a pre-war car, the cross-member must come out to change the belt. Why? Just why would they do that? 😈

Anonymous

Ref my post above, the gap is more like 6-7mm. Can anyone with a Slough Lt 15 indicate whether that is normal in which case I keep struggling, or if that is not normal then I look at lifting the engine a bit?
              I think Dens’ “a bit tight” is a euphanism for something unprintable!!
              Thanks
              J

Anonymous

Where is this 6-7mm gap Jon? Is it in the middle of the lower pulley or to the right (viewed from the front of the car).

What year is your Light 15 and where do you live?

Anonymous

It’s at the bottom right corner ( if there is such a thing on a wheel). The gap along bottom is enough with some persuasion I think, but I ran out of patience the other day and hopefully can have another go tomorrow. Can’t remember without checking which way the pulley rotates, but I’m thinking along lines of somehow getting the belt under the pulley and then turning the engine with the handle to pull it thro’. Still feel my engine mounts must have settled or something.
                  It’s a Jan ’49 build date in Bedford.
                  Thanks for your inputs Den
                  J

Anonymous

…………..

Anonymous

Good, engine can’t have sunk so I can cross that off list!
                      I appreciate the pulley has to rotate anti clockwise, what I was saying is I can’t remember if that is the”normal” direction when using the handle!
                      Club shop for the belt, and old one was crackered. Previous to that was another solid one. Totally confused why I’m struggling when last one was effortless (ish) on side of the A1!

Anonymous

Everything is fiddly on a Traction – this was my first proper resto and thought, this classic car thing is bloody difficult. Now I have started on my Renault 4CV it is a breeze…. so simple, engine and rear subframe out in 15 minutes, engine stripped in half a day….. now sitting on the bench until I can finish it in September 😕 .

So it is the Traction not the fan belt 😆 😆

Maybe use a little washing up liquid on the tight section to squeeze it through. Then wash off the liquid with lots of water before you start turning (so it doesn’t spread to much).

Anonymous

I simply use a ‘pry’ bar or tyre lever to push down on the new belt to get it past the pulley.

Anonymous

Work and the Minister of Home Affairs conspired to keep me away from belt fitting over the w/e but I set to this morning for another attempt.
                            With a recipe of brute force, a lot of ignorance, most of the contents of the Anglo Saxon dictionary, some of Ann Summers finest lube and a combination of all the tips and advice you good people have given on this forum; – SUCCESS!!
                            I really really don’t want to do that again in a long while – by which time of course I’ll have forgotten how I did it!
                            To all who have contributed, a heartfelt “Thank you”!

Cheers
                            J

Anonymous

I plan when I start working on this 11BL is to take the cross-member out and cut it away in the area near the pulley and have a bit of metal welded underneath to make up for it. Not original? Who gives a rat’s hindquarters!

Anonymous

Tractions sure are fun and keep the grey material alive.

Anonymous

Your brains definitely need to be of the “Certified Grade A” variety to have a Traction! :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.