learning about the Slough differences

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions learning about the Slough differences

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dick Nyquist
    Participant

Hello I am a fairly new member. All the other Citroens I owned were built in France. Now I have a 1954 light 15. It came from Rhodesia. I don’t know of any other Slough Citroens in the northern California area where we live. I have some questions. For example:
      What would the original upholstery probably been like. Roughly what percentage of the Slough built Citroens of that period had leather seats? Where can I find detailed photos of interiors that would be typical of a 1954 light 15? What percentage of those cars had sliding sun roofs? Our car seems to have originally been painted black (repainted dark blue) I think I see that it once had an air vent in front of the windscreen. (Now filled in and painted over.) I also see something similar on the roof above the
      wind screen. Were these cars used as taxi cabs or as police cars back in the day? (in it’s favor the car seems to be rust free and the motor only a few thousand miles from a complete rebuild.) Thank you for any thoughts, information or photos. It all helps.
      // Dick Nyquist, Santa Rosa California

Patrick Russell-Jones
      Participant

Hi Dick

I emailed you a couple of photos. The sunroof on the Slough cars was an optional extra. I would have thought all Slough cars had leather seats apart from the popular model produced shortly after the war which was based on the Paris build. Central air vent on the scuttle is standard. Above the windscreen I wonder if that is an old fixing for a sunvisor as Larry mentioned.  Whether they were used as Taxis is an open question, probably not from new.

Can you put up a picture of your car’s interior?

Patrick

Dick Nyquist
        Participant

Hello Patrick

Thank you for your reply. I will try to get some photos of our car & it’s interior in the next day or two. Where do I look for the photos you sent? (I’m new to the forum & don’t yet know the ropes)

// Dick // ran@vom.com

Dick Nyquist
          Participant

Hello Patrick
            The photos you sent just arrived in my e-mail. Many thanks! they look great.
            //Dick

Paul Domoney
            Participant

Hello Dick

I just stumbled across your post and thought that you might be interested in my comments since I am still living in Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia). Also I have just completed the restoration of a 1952 Lt15.  It was a 2 year project that ended up taking 15 years!

Your car is presumably a big boot with bench seat and round dials which all came in around 1953. As far as I know all UK Slough built cars had leather upholstery.  As Patrick rightly says the front air vent on the scuttle was standard but I suspect that it was filled in due to the tendency  for these to leak and cause rust on the floor pan. My guess is that the original color was black. I wonder when it was exported from Rhodesia? Presumably it is right hand drive?

The Lt15 was never used as either a taxi or police vehicle.  Taxis were either Renault 4’s or Peugeot 404’s and police cars were Peugeot 404’s. Both of these cars were assembled in Rhodesia.  The Lt 15 was not assembled here but the DS 21 was.

After WW11, few foreign car manufactures were allowed to produce in the UK due to the rationing of raw materials. However, Citroen were permitted to continue manufacturing provided they exported the majority of their production. Being right hand drive cars most were exported to Commonwealth countries such as Rhodesia, South Africa Mozambique,  Malawi, Zambia etc. The Citroen was very popular as it was able to cope well with bad roads due to the low centre of gravity.

Cars from this part of the world are popular because they do not rust due to the tropical climate.

I hope you are enjoying your car.

Best regards

Paul

Roger Grix
              Participant

Hi Dick,

My 1955 L15 was imported from South Africa.

The seats were leather although I think that the “sides” were originally a plastic material. Mine have been re-upholstered all leather.

The roof lining for 1955 was a vinyl type material but mine has been replaced with fabric which I think is much nicer!

As an African model, mine, and probably yours, had an oil bath air filter which was not normal on the UK models. There is a bracket for this on the RHS jamboneau.

Electrics were Lucas. Walnut dash, different steering wheel, door handles and general trim including scumbled window surrounds to simulate wood. Lucas horns. Chrome grille.

I have loads of pictures of the restoration of my car. If you let me know what you would like, I can email pics.

Roger

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.