Light 15 I.D.crisis

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rod Robbins
    Participant

Can anyone offer any help on putting the missing numbers on my 1954 Slough Light 15?

We have very recently imported her from New Zealand and have NOVA approval, now its just

the DVLA to worry about…

The chassis plate reads Type 11 CL. 9-531472

Engine plate is where problems start , I can read 4 MPV 1478(or B )7B

Engine No seems to be AD***197** and that’s it, no extra number on

drivers side jamboneau. Reg is AN 5722,Maroon, ex N.Z.

Anybody any ideas?

Rod.

Roger Grix
      Participant

Hi Rob,

We appear to be going down the same track.

You will see various details of me and my car (1955 L15) on the site. It was imported from S Africa.  Mine is now NOVA cleared and I am awaiting the DVLA.

From my investigations, greatly helped by club member Robin Dyke, I can tell you the following:

Production for each year ran mid November to mid November starting at 9 530001 for 1952-1953 (53 being the year).  They forgot to re-start for 1954 so 1954 production ran from 9 531599.  As far as is known, 1598 cars were produced in production year 1953 which would mean that yours (1472) was actually manufactured in 1953, very near the end of the production year.  Allowing for shipping to NZ and sale and registration, 1954 first registration would be correct.

You will have to get a dating document from Steve Reed and that will, I think, give year of manufacture as 1953.

I am very surprised that there is no coque number on the jamboneau. If your car is assembled, it may be difficult to see. I will attach a pic to show you where mine is. This is only for interest really as DVLA are not interested.  They only want the number on the chassis plate – don’t confuse them with the coque number.  The number would be BPVSM B = Berline (saloon), PV = Petite Voiture, S = Short, M= ? I would guess your number to be around 2000 but there is no known correspondence between coque numbers and chassis numbers.

Coque Number

My engine number is AM04590 but this is not the original.  The previous owner took the 11D engine for his car and gave me a 1948 Perfo engine in its place 🙁

I suspect that your plate should be similar – pic attached.

Pic not attached – still got a problem sending more than 1 pic. I will send a second response.

Roger

Roger Grix
        Participant

Engine plate.

Roger

Rod Robbins
          Participant

Good evening Roger.

Thank you so much for your reply, if only my engine plate was as good as that! I have taken a pic of it and will try to attach

it at the end , ( not my forte..), I was especially glad to here that DVLA only need chassis plate number. I will get in touch with

Steve Reid with regard the dating document

I think the drive side jamboneau could well be a replacement,as it is black, left side is body color.

It sounds to me, from all the details you have , as though pretty much all information regarding L15s is available,

something I am glad to hear, as a first timer,late starter yes, but still an enthusiastic Citroeneer.

Rod

David Faulkner
            Participant

Have you tried trying to lift the number off the plate with a piece of paper and a soft pencil aka a ‘brass rubbing’ it may just lift a faint outline you can recognise?

For more Slough build details take a look at the re instated Cats Citroen page on Slough Tractions: http://cats-citroen.com/home.html – (you will need to click the Traction Avant Link then the England one to get to the Slough car page)

Good luck with the search, hope you find what you need.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by David Faulkner. Reason: Added more info
              Roger Grix
              Participant

Hi Rod,

I see what you mean.  You might be able to get a better idea by taking a rubbing of the plate. (Paper and scribble over it gently with a soft pencil).

Don’t get too excited about available information.  Factory records were destroyed when they closed the Slough factory.  There is still, thank goodness, a wealth of knowledge within the club and elsewhere.  French production is, apparently, much better documented.

Good luck.  Let me know if I can help at all.

Roger

Roger Grix
                Participant

Just read the previous post – great minds?

Roger

Rod Robbins
                  Participant

Thanks for that David. I will try the brass rubbing theory in the morning, and get prepared for scraped knuckles.

As soon as I send this, I will try the web site.

Thank you for your help

Rod.

David Faulkner
                    Participant

I will try the brass rubbing theory in the morning, and get prepared for scraped knuckles

BTW the tag plates should be held on with nails (as were the interior carpets originally) which with care can be prised out so you could take a look at the back of the plates as a rubbing on that might produce more detail.

Rod Robbins
                      Participant

Wow, that sounds typically Citroen. I’ll go and have a look.

Rod Robbins
                        Participant

Ahh, the rather thin ally plate starts to deform with even gentle persuading, so I think I

will leave it alone. Thank you for the thought.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.