malle platte boot sealing

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior malle platte boot sealing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Non Member
    Participant

Hello Small Boot owners,
      I have commenced the rebuild of my 11bn 1950.
      Some years ago I removed the lower boot floor and valance which had disintegrated due to rust and seized hinges.
      Unusually for me, the remnants were ditched during a workshop replacement.
      Is there a drawing of the “arrangement” for the valance ( by that I mean the bodywork rather than the closing piece between the bumper irons which some suppliers call a valance!)?
      Could members confirm that there is no valance repair panel available?
      I also have a conundrum with the water channel running under the boot lid which appears to end with a flare at both sides some 4″ above the bottom of the boot lid. The inference is that water runs directly from the boot channel into the boot……Really?
      In addition, the fixed hinges would allow ingress to the boot area?
      I have seen some small boot cars with some form of additional water channel but they are clearly non-original?
      Do any members have an original car I could view which is not more than say 150 miles from mid wales (assuming that’s not an oxymoron!) Failing that pictures would be useful.
      Lots of love, Nick Beech
      ( SHE who, of course, must be obeyed suggested the foregoing greeting by way of a dare!)

Nigel Watling
      Participant

Hello Nick

I have the same issue on my 1951 small boot Light 15 and was about to post on here as for some pictures when I see your post, mine had already been partly welded when I brought mine as a large box of bits so I have no idea as to what it should look like and have not been able to find any pictures and don’t know anybody nearby I could go and look at, I could photograph mine but can’t garrantee its what it should be yet but like your description it looks like the water is allowed into boot before draining out via some punched holes in the floor.

So if anybody has any picture of a Light 15 boot aperture they could post I would be most greatful and probably Nick would too.

Regards

Nigel Watling

David Faulkner
        Participant

Not the best I could find but a starting point for you until someone else posts a better one

malle platte_edited

Nigel Watling
          Participant

Hello David

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for, and it does look like the water that gets past the seal would drain into the lower boot section.

Unfortunately the previous owner of mine had re-fabricated the bottom edge but couldn’t of tried the lid as now I’ve come to fit it into the aperture its not a good fit, a bit of metal bashing required

Nigel

Alistair
            Participant

I have a 1939 12 in original condition. You are welcome to come and look at it – I am in Cardiff.

Alistair

Philippe Allison
              Participant

Don’t know if this helps. The second picture (car in primer) is before the repairs and the new boot floor.

Philippe Allison

P1030444P1030223

David Faulkner
                Participant

Just to box this off, I have just seen a Facebook post from ‘Old Car Workshop’ on a small boot car filling with water in the luggage area. It was caused by the drain slots being covered with underseal 🙂

You can see the pictures (hopefully) online here: https://tinyurl.com/y3uq9naw 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.