My 1953 Legere

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Selfridge
    Participant

Hi

I have just sold my 1953 Legere to a very satisfied customer (very close to asking prisce) I also gave him datails regarding TOC membership with a Floating Power Magazine to take home. This is his 1st Traction to accompany his Riley’s, MG’s and vintage lorry’s.

Davy

Larry Lewis
      Participant

A Riley? One of those with the fabric roof from the early 50s would make a fine garage companion for a Traction!

David Selfridge
        Participant

Hi Larry

Good to hear from you, I think he said it’s a RILEY RMA, the Traction  would have a similar looking front appearance although the Riley is a much larger car. They are stuck with each other’s  ompany now. I believe the Riley has quite a lot of timber in its structure, at least woodworm won’t affect the Traction

Davy

David Faulkner
          Participant

I believe the Riley has quite a lot of timber in its structure, at least woodworm won’t affect the Traction

An awful lot of wood and the bit around the bulkhead is what rots most. I have watched one being ‘rebuilt’ over the past 5 years at a local restoration club and it still isn’t finished.

The Tractions propensity to ‘tinworm’ is nowhere near as bad and they are much nicer to drive than those old Rileys.

Good to hear you found an enthusiastic buyer.

Larry Lewis
            Participant

I had a 1938 Mercedes 170-V convertible that had wood framing. The wood was rotted, the steel was rusted out. If the wood isn’t the right shape you can only guess what the metal is supposed to look like. I paid a guy to put a wooden frame into the body and he didn’t do a very good job. I was driving the car but it just wasn’t right. The doors and the convertible top all had to fit correctly at the same time, you can’t do one and then address the other and none of it fit right. A friend in the States restored an identical car and tried it three times before he got it right. So, while I like those Rileys I wouldn’t touch one with wood rot. Or termites. Or carpenter ants. But having said that, I do have a chance to buy a 1948 MG-TC for not a lot of money and the wood frame looks very solid so I may go for it. But, not until I get the 49 BL sorted out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘For Sale/Swap Shop’ is closed to new topics and replies.