New member looking to contact Mick Popka

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions New member looking to contact Mick Popka

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Peter Kerr
    Participant

Hello,

I’m based on Southern California and have just purchased a French 1951 11BL. It has a lot of needs – primarily interior and floor so its going to be a while before I get it on the road.

In researching I came across this link that mentioned Mick. I’d like to ask him about some details. Is he a member here?

https://www.tractionavant.ch/Berichte/Technik/Elektrische/Traction.php

Thank you

Peter Kerr

Larry Lewis
      Participant

That electric Traction conversion was done by John Gillard a few years ago. I did some work on it myself when I was there. It’s a Familiale.

Peter Kerr
        Participant

Hi Larry,

Thanks for responding. I’m curious how the gearbox held up. My understanding was that these were OK in normal use but a bit weak. I’d have thought the electric motor would have caused it some distress…..

I’m considering something similar but using a different gearbox. It would be simpler to use the stock one….

Peter Kerr
          Participant

IMG_1573IMG_1575IMG_0422TA Floor - Copy

Here are some pictures as it sits now. I’m not sure why it was lined with wood – maybe someone confused European cars with a sauna?

Larry Lewis
            Participant

As I recall the gearbox only had reverse and second gear as it was only to be used as some sort of promotional vehicle for an architectural firm. At first there was too much power from the electric motor so it had to be adjusted to give out maybe 40 hp. I did see one of John’s employees take it down the street and it went like a rocket!

A wooden lined Traction. I’m speechless.

Paul Barnard
              Participant

Hi Peter

If you still want to contact Mick P – I notice that he’s on Facebook.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.