Noisy Gearbox

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Tebbett
    Participant

Hmmm………. I have spent a lot of money having a gearbox rebuilt with a 10×31……. but it had to go back to the man because the bushes surrounding the drive shafts had not been replaced and were sloppy….. I was not pleased as of course I did not relaise this until the box was in the car and it had to come out again…..

Anyway, after a few other minor issues the box is back in the car and has now done several hundred miles but there is noise in top gear on the over run that I am unhappy with.  There does not seem to by any noise in any other gear on over run, just top gear……….. Noise is not constant but seems to be in ‘tune’ with road speed. i.e. in time with each revolution of a road wheel…

I am worried the layshaft is moving fore and aft !!!!

Any thoughts anyone?   ……. apart from sending it back to the man of course…… again …….

Bernie
      Participant

Mike,

That sounds most frustrating and certainly suggests movement and/or excessive play somewhere in the system.

If nobody comes up with a better idea, were I in your shoes, I think my first port of call would be to discuss the problem with “the man” and have him listen for himself to the new noise before removing the box yet again.

Bon courage,

B..

Mike Tebbett
        Participant

The problems continue.  The box came out again and went to Mark Harding (he did NOT do the initial rebuild) as I wanted a second opinion on the first rebuild. He found that the taper roller bearings that support the crown wheel had been excessively over pre-loaded (I believe they should not have any pre-load at all). This had essentially scrapped the bearings and there was evidence that the rollers were starting to break up…. this after very few miles !  Mark did not do any other work on the box apart from a visual inspection, check on tolerances, etc. etc.  We both thought this over pre-loading was the cause of the noise. The first man paid  me back Mark’s invoice with a small sum in some compensation thereby admitting they were at fault.  On replacement in the car the noise seemed to have gone, but now after very few miles a new noise has appeared also just on top gear.  The box has to come out again and quite honestly at present I just cannot face pulling the thing out again !!!  The box went to the man 12 months ago and I have had virtually 12 months of problems and worry and all this after spending quite a considerable sum of money.  I will not name the first man or his company here for possible legal issues, but if anyone is contemplating having a gearbox rebuilt professionally then they might like to make contact privately with me first……….

Bernie
          Participant

Mike,

Its a drastic step but Andy Burnett is advertising a rebuilt gearbox minus lid – see forum post by Chris, under parts.

B…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.