Power Steering

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

In the latest issue of FP there is a article on replacing a steering column and rack. The author was asking about what happens when the drive at the end of the column is damaged and because those with power steering have cut the column there will be no exchange unit available. I am pretty sure the drive cog at the bottom of the shaft is a removable part so can be replaced easily.
      The author mentions those with power steering showing off in the car park by spinning the steering wheel to show the ease with which the road wheels move. I thought everyone knew never to turn the steering wheel when stationary because of the loading put through the rack.

Anonymous

Yes the article is not a good one. I know that there is a disclaimer in the magazine but when an article is published as technical it must be thoroughly checked to make sure that it doesn’t confuse or misinform the reader.

Anonymous

Must be all changeable as I stripped mine down to just the shaft when I cut mine (scary experience, measure 10 times and cut once).

In the end the whole fit was easy enough – I did find the steering rack a big learning experience though, figuring out what unscrewed from what, but most of that was due to the unit being caked in crud and grease so I could not figure out what was fixed to what.

It is another worthwhile modification though, after changing out the clutch to a diaphragm unit 🙂

Anonymous

Gentlemen, a few comments. I think Martin was being ‘playful’ when talking about people spinning the wheel in the car park, although it is easy to get carried away when trying to ‘convert’ non-PAS people.

Also, I think anything that can build on the general query that was raised (i.e. is there a problem replacing a steering rack when it’s been chopped in half to accommodate a power steering unit?) should be shared with other members through the letters pages of FP (as well as here if you want). That way we get a dialogue going in the magazine, which most of the members still read in preference to going into the Forum. I would be very happy to put these technical responses in the magazine.

Den: unless an article is clearly ‘potty’, in which case I would indeed run it past someone else, I take the view that everyone has a right to offer a technical article. In fact, I welcome all technical articles, as they are a rare beast. As you say, somewhere we do have a caveat about trying any of this at home. It also begs the question: who would set themselves up as the most technically expert member of TOC? To turn it around, my friend Roger Williams was talking about cross checking articles recently, and the thought crossed my mind that Roger would be the first to get upset if I suggested that any of his articles should be ‘second opinioned’ by another member. And another thing… where does that all end? Do I print the original article and then an appendix saying: This article was written by X, but was critiqued (below) by Y. However, Z then read it and made the following points… If I did that, who would write any technical articles for the magazine?

Looking forward to your letters rolling in….. 🙂

BOB

Anonymous

Bob,
              rather than moving to 50, 60, 70 or 80 pages to accommodate all the letters, why not state in FP that “…..the discussion has continued on the Forum”
              and then for the next edition you could provide a synopsis of the discussion in the Forum for those who cant access the forum?

Just a thought….. it would be interesting to understand how we can “connect” FP to the Forum and vica versa…

All suggestions welcome.

Anonymous

I think it is good for people to write articles that create discussion. I would say though that cutting the steering column has nothing to do with the actual rack and that the gear on the bottom of the steering column can be purchased as a separate unit so there would be no issues with a exchange unit.
                Not sure on the articles being checked by another as everyone works differently and to different standards. I like to try things for myself and if they work that is fine if not I try something else. My latest experiment is using Landrover engine mounts and they seem to work with a slight mod. Once I know for sure I will probably do a write up.

Anonymous

Bob, When I was editor I checked or checked them with others more knowledgable, before publication. That, in my humble opinion is an editors job.

The problem with a forum is that anyone can say what they like – this is something you should understand before picking me up on one of my comments.

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

I think it is good for people to write articles that create discussion. I would say though that cutting the steering column has nothing to do with the actual rack and that the gear on the bottom of the steering column can be purchased as a separate unit so there would be no issues with a exchange unit.
                    Not sure on the articles being checked by another as everyone works differently and to different standards. I like to try things for myself and if they work that is fine if not I try something else. My latest experiment is using Landrover engine mounts and they seem to work with a slight mod. Once I know for sure I will probably do a write up.

Thanks Baz. As I said, I thought this was a constructive reply to the inbuilt question in Martin’s piece. That’s why I’d like you to send me a letter (just the above will do) so we can share it with the rest of the members. As someone who does have power steering fitted, I was concerned at whether it would have any effect in the event of having to have steering rack work done. So, there may be other people out there thinking the same thing. The Landrover thing is very interesting and just the sort of piece I’d like to print. (And I won’t check it with anyone else before printing :D) Cheers, BOB

Anonymous

@mpopka wrote:

Bob,
                      rather than moving to 50, 60, 70 or 80 pages to accommodate all the letters, why not state in FP that “…..the discussion has continued on the Forum”
                      and then for the next edition you could provide a synopsis of the discussion in the Forum for those who cant access the forum?

Just a thought….. it would be interesting to understand how we can “connect” FP to the Forum and vica versa…

All suggestions welcome.

Hi Mick. Well, we don’t have that many letters. I think the current amount (about ten per issue?) is about right. As you know, I do try to plug the Forum in the mag and, hopefully, membership of the Forum is slowly growing? I was only making the small point that the two comments in response to the article would benefit readers of the mag if they were sent in as letters (as well as sitting here on the Forum). As per my reply to Baz, there are still a lot more members who read the mag rather than reading the Forum, so these contributions to the dialogue would help a lot of members if they were on public view in the mag. I think in this case I can do a ‘plug box’ in the mag for the Forum, saying that there is a continuation of Martin’s article about power steering with some comments on how it shouldn’t be a problem. If there are any other current items of interest (that I’ve maybe missed) do let me know. I’ll try to keep reminding all members that it’s their Forum, so use it. Cheers, BOB

Anonymous

Thanks Bob.
                        You can use the message here if you wish. The Landrover mounts need some modifications but not beyond a DIY mechanic. I will send you something on that in a month or so. I am also replacing the rain gutters on my Normale and I will be recording that as so far it has been a scary journey.

Anonymous

Bob,
                          The forum statistics currently show 162 registered members – which is around 25% of the total membership..

Anonymous

But not many of those registered people seem to post. I love the magazine and would never suggest going over to a internet only magazine.

Anonymous

Ian is right that the pinion can be separated from the shaft – the club spares list has them at £72.34. So one way or another reconditioning a powered rack should not be a problem but I think Martin’s point was that a reconditioned rack for a Traction comes with the column fitted. So a regular exchange service would no longer work and you would have to have your own rack rebuilt and wait for it to come back. Or do it yourself.
                              I thought Martin’s article was pretty good and helpful. Articles that show how members have tackled things, warts and all, and allow others to judge whether they wish to follow suit or steer clear of the job altogether should be encouraged – IMHO.
                              I had too much play in my steering when I got my Traction (in 1997) and called John Gillard about getting a recon rack and learnt just how high I would have to raise the front of the car to remove the thing. Instead I was advised just to try tightening up the adjuster which worked for me although Martin’s may have been too far gone for that. I hope never to see my own pinion to see how it compares with his.
                              The comment about turning the steering wheel when stationary recalls the concern over the Diravi steering on the CX and SM and how it would power back to the centre all on its own to the sound of the tyres graunching on the tarmac. A marvellous system! I had three of those with no problems (well not with the tyres, rack or the steering joints). Anyone fitting power steering to a 15H should fit Diravi!
                              Chris

Anonymous

I am at present looking at fitting power steering but going a different route entirely. That is me though never take the easy option. My aim is to completely replace the steering column with a Vauxhall unit. I would then have my original steering column in perfect order should the need arise for a new rack. I would have thought though that any decent company would listen to what the customer has and needs. Sending a rack back for replacement along with a modified shaft would mean that all the company had to do was swap over the shaft and keep the standard shaft.

Anonymous

Baz, it’s exhausting just reading about the work you’ve been doing. But at the same time fascinating.
                                  Look forward to seeing the finished result.
                                  We dropped the headlining on mine this week, no rats, mice or birds nests, but the dust. It was filthy. Surprisingly, not too much rust, so it won’t take long to clean and paint.

Keep us posted. Best wishes, Norman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • The forum ‘Car Care’ is closed to new topics and replies.