Rear screen seal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dave Thornley
    Participant

Am about to fit a new seal to the rear screen to replace the silicon mastic that looks to be inhabiting that place. Two questions, where should the join of the seal be placed top or bottom?  My front screen has the joint at the top not sure if this is even correct.  And is there any clip to be used or just use some rubber glue?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Dave Thornley.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Dave Thornley.
      Bernie
      Participant

David,

Rear window does not have a rubber seal and the design of the aperture does not lend itself to retro-fitting one.  The glass is held in place against the bodywork by a plywood frame and the seal is simply(?) achieved with a layer of mastic between the glass and the bodywork.

Usual cause of leaks is a split in the original mastic which is prone to cracking when it age-hardens.  The water that gets in then not only stains the head linning but, if not stopped, can cause the ply frame to delaminate allowing the window to leak even more.

In the past I have used a black silicone-based product which air cures but remains flexible and therfore does not become brittle with time.

And the main seal on front screen should be bottom centre.

B……

Bernie
        Participant

Last sentence should be ….

The joint in the main seal on the front screen should be bottom centre.

A spot of “superglue” at the joint is not a bad idea either – perhaps especially worth doing in your case when the joint is at the top? But be careful not to stick the rubber to the bodywork!

B……..

Dave Thornley
          Participant

Hmmm interesting. Now I know which way around the front seal goes. Still confused by the rear one. I have no leak but clear silicon was used and looks, to my mind, not correct. I therefore ordered part F4A from the club listed as rear screen rubber thinking this the rear screen seal. Am I missing something here?

Bernie
            Participant

David,

It appears the description on our spares list is incorrect …… you just can’t get the staff!

On our list TOC Spares pt. No. F4A is cross-referred to Citroën part number 802668 and that is actually the pressed steel frame which trims the inside of the rear window.

And, now I think about it, it might be this frame (rather than the plywood) that clamps the glass to the bodywork.  Unfortunately it is a number of years since I last fitted one so I am no longer as sure as I thought I was when I penned the earlier message.  Sorry.

I doubt you need replace the metal frame so, if not too late, suggest you cancel your order and advise CT to correct the list – but it will probably be some time before the change gets as far as the website.

Hope this helps.

B……

Dave Thornley
              Participant

Hi

Yes you are correct there is a metal plate/frame fastened with 10 screws that looks to hold the glass in. I just assumed, obviously incorrectly, that sometime in the past the glass had been removed and with no seal available silicone mastic was used. Now this gives me two other questions what was used on the cars originally as I think silicon mastic as we know it was not around in the 1940/50s? And I wonder what the rubber seal I received is actually for? I received the order last August and was just about to try to do the rear screen. I will now not bother, at least for the time being.

Thanks for the info.

Bernie
                Participant

David,

I don’t know what the original sealant was but, as I said, it dried hard and was therefore prond to cracking  …. albeit after 50 years.

So what does the rubber seal (F4A) look like ?  I may possibly recognise it.

B….

John
                  Keymaster

If you could email me at membership@traction-owners.co.uk with any errors or additional information etc that can be added to the price list I can get the changes made for the next update.

Thanks

John

Bernie
                    Participant

Thanks John.

In  this instance we know F4A isn’t what it is listed as but ideally we need to know what it actually is or else we should probably remove it from the list.

If David could perhaps post pictures and an indication of relevant dimensions it might help identification. I shall also ask CT if he has more info.

B

Larry Lewis
                      Participant

In the case of the 3 Tractions that I have restored I have taken them to an auto glass shop and had them install the screen with their glues as I tried it once and had nothing but bad times. It’s a job for the pros as they can do the job far better than I can. In all cases there was no metal frame, just dried out glue. On all three I also had them caulk the rain troughs as that seals them against water leaking into the car.

Dave Thornley
                        Participant

Hi

Attached is end profile of seal. The whole thing measure 1850mm. Now this would appear to be the correct size for the rear window if 75mm was cut off.

It is called the rear window rubber joint by CTA but they sell it in a 2200mm length.seal

Would be nice to know if this is in fact a correct part.

Larry Lewis
                          Participant

David- I’m not sure sure that it is. In all my Tractions, there was never any rubber seal on the rear screen. They were only glued to the body.

Dave Thornley
                            Participant

I have just had an interesting chat with James Geddes who has shed some light on this real seal matter.  Apparently Belgian manufactured vehicles had a rubber seal all others were used some sort of sealant. Not really sure how the club ended up with these in stock then. At some point when the weather is warmer I am going to take my rear screen out and try this rubber seal. If not suitable will use a black sealant as the current one is clear and looks a bit ‘ naff ‘.

Bernie
                              Participant

You  live and learn!  Thanks for highlighting this oddity, David.

B……..

Dave Thornley
                                Participant

One of many oddities of these cars. Would be boring otherwise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.