starting handle for a 49 BL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Does anyone have one? Or know where? I assume it’s got a long support on it and there is the bracket on the back of the bumper.

Anonymous

English or French?

Anonymous

French with the curly bumper.

Anonymous

If you find one on the Le Bon Coin or others in France let me know and I can get it for you.

Anonymous
              Anonymous

😆 😆 Now I know what that little bracket is behind the numberplate…..

I may not have the correct crank handle myself…. in fact I don’t even have a jack….. or spare tire.

crap 🙁

Anonymous

Now I know what that little bracket is behind the numberplate….

There are 2 types of handle, the ‘moustache’ bumper has a longer support rod as per the image Mick posted, later French cars with a straight bumper have a shorter support rod.

Jack? just look for an old mechanical ‘bottle jack’ at a local bourse if you want something period looking.

Anonymous

That is the handle I need, but I don’t need a new one, a used one will do. I’m only going to use it to adjust the valves. Never tried to crank a car.

Anonymous

That is the handle I’d like, but I don’t need a new one, a used one will do. I’m only going to use it to adjust the valves. Never tried to crank a car. For a jack I have an old scissors jack that came with my Saab. for some reason that car had the original one and another one. Not sure why.

Why did this post twice? What did I do? Oh well.

Anonymous

@L.Lewis wrote:

That is the handle I need, but I don’t need a new one, a used one will do. I’m only going to use it to adjust the valves. Never tried to crank a car.

Larry, just jack up the front of the car at one side, put it in 3rd gear and turn the wheel off the ground forward, by hand
                        , to open/close the valves.

Your much nearer the engine so can see the cam positions far better than from the end of the starting handle……….

I did it on both the Traction and DS a couple of months back 😎

Anonymous

That’s a reasonable idea. One thing I’ve always done is take a piece of cardboard and write on it with a marker, 1-4 cylinders and I & E for the valves of each cylinder. Turn the crank and when one valve is open, adjust the other one and cross it off. It eliminates worrying about reaching TDC on each cylinder.

Anonymous

The pain doing it with the crank is that if you miss the valve opening then you have to go all the way through again.

I gently rock the car back and forth with the spark plugs out and in 3rd gear.

I only use the crank on my 2CV which works a treat (but does need at least some battery power left)

Anonymous

Ain’t missed a valve opening yet! Or a beer opening. :mrgreen:

Anonymous

Renel new catalogue 2016 has starting handles for 45 euro for the 11B and 11BL – page 32 http://www.renelauto.fr/catalogue2016.pdf

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • The forum ‘Parts Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.