Unusual parts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Craig
    Participant

I have seen one or two tractions with chrome side mouldings and after-market mag type wheels. Does anyone know anything about these and if they can be still obtained?

Stuart Craig

Stuart Craig
      Participant

I meant to say PERIOD mags !!, I am not into hot rods

Stu

David Faulkner
        Participant

Big Boot (Malle Bombe) French Tractions have an alloy trim strip under the swage line across the doors which the Slough (RHD) cars don’t, is that what you mean?

Bernie
          Participant

… and sixes have a much wider, more heavily profiled, ally strip in that position …..

15-6 Door Trim

If neither of these strips are what you are referring to can you post a picture?

B…………..

Bernie
            Participant

Stuart,

Period alloy wheels are rare – and full sets are even more rare – but odd ones do appear for sale from time-to-time.  They tend to be advertised on French websites such as e-Bay.fr and Le Bon Coin.  Be aware some makes were handed (for brake-drum cooling) so, if buying odd ones, it is important to check they are the same type/make and, if handed, they are also the correct hand(s).

You could also try a “wanted” ad in FP.  I am always amazed at what people have squirrelled away and then forgotten until their memory is jogged.  (That reminds me, I have a number of 165 x 400 Pilote rims which are not perfect but nor are they beyond restoration).

B……….

Larry Lewis
              Participant

There’s a guy in Quebec who has an 11BL with unusual trim on his car. It runs from behind the doors, along the doors and cowl below the swage line and along the sides of the bonnet as well as across the rear of the car just below the window. The pieces are made of aluminium and consist of three rows of strips but each section is all of a piece. The uppermost strip at the front and back ends are longer than the lower strips that get progressively shorter from top to bottom and the bit below the back window is all one piece and is as the others are on the ends. Hard to describe. I don’t have a picture but they do look as old as the car. The owner says that they are original which I think is nonsense, but they may have been a dealer-installed accessory. I haven’t seen anything similar in all the books I have. Maybe Robri?

Stuart Craig
                Participant

Thanks David, Bernie and Larry, I was aware of the French alloy door mouldings, but I have seen mouldings that start on the bonnet, on the short vertical scuttle panel, both doors and end on the rear side panel. They look to be chrome on brass

I know of a L15 that has them, and I will try and get a photo to post

I have never seen the mouldings as on the Canadian car. I would think they were specially made, probably a one-off

Good information on the period mags. I was really hoping there might be a manufacturer making retro period wheels?

I am just starting to restore my 1955 Slough 6H ( tag 6H 174) and I thought the mouldings and wheels would look good on it

Any other comments welcome,

Stuart

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.