Violent juddering!

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Brakes Violent juddering!

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Jonathan Dudley.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Dudley
    Participant

A relative newbie here…so please be gentle. We have just overhauled the brakes on my 1936 French built car, (from one working wheel cylinder to four plus a new master cylinder!) …therefore a great disappointment to discover that a huge amount of juddering, so powerful that it comes up through the steering column, is experienced when applying the brakes. The problem seems to lie on the near side. We have had the drum skimmed and all seems to run true but to no avail. In desperation we jacked the car up and swapped the drum from the O/S – same juddering. The question is, although the driveshaft on the N/S appears ok with no clicks, growls or strange noises issuing forth…could this be at the root of the problem? If anyone can thrown any light on the subject I’d be most grateful.

Larry Lewis
      Participant

It is quite possible that your drums have been ground beyond limits. I had that problem with a Light 15 that came from Botswana, where every bit of the car was worn to extreme. New front drums and all was well.

Jonathan Dudley
        Participant

Thanks Larry…that’s quite possible!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.