Weather strip

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Domoney
    Participant

Hi folks

I am looking for the correct weather strip that goes around the body to seal against the door when it is closed.  What is the correct profile and where can I get it.

Larry Lewis
      Participant

There is no weatherstrip that ges on the body- the weatherstrip is the rubber that goes along the top and front of the doors in the groove there. The weatherseal along the bottom of the doors is the rubber flap that hangs below the door and lives between the door itself and the door panel. Along the central pillar there is nothing but I have installed a strip of self-adhesive half-round rubber but in this case, the wind-lace acts as the weather seal. The half-round rubber can be obtained from most any home-improvement shop. I don’t see why this can’t be installed on the body going around the doors.

Paul Domoney
        Participant

Hi Larry

Many thanks for your prompt response. Most helpful. As you can see from the attached photo I have fitted the weather seal to the door.

Another question. Should there be a seal between the glass and the outside of the door? If so how is this fitted?  Does the club have this seal? I have attached a photo of the area that I am referring to.

Kind regards

Paul

Larry Lewis
          Participant

Hi Paul- Can  you re-post the photos?  There is a rubber seal that holds the glass to the metal channel that raises and lowers the window. This would have a rubber flange that sticks out at 90 degrees from the rubber channel. This will close off the area between the glass and the door itself when the winow is shut. It’s not much of a seal, water will be carried to either end of it and run down inside the door. I have seen cars with a seal that sits on top of the door and rides along the glass but that would be due to the ingenuity of the whoever installed it.

Paul Domoney
            Participant

Weather strip 2Weather strip 1

Paul Domoney
              Participant

Hi Larry. I hope you got the photos?

Bernie
                Participant

Paul,

There was no original external weatherstrip for door glasses.

There was a strip of rubber stapled to a stiff card/fibre carrier on the inside, attached with trim nails to the inside top of the door underneath the metal frames.  It wiped the window as it descended/rose and, presumably, minimised residual moisture from inside the door passing into the car.

It does not appear to be shown in the spare parts book.  Effectiveness at keeping damp out of the car would depend on the several large apertures on the inside of the door also being sealed with a polythene membrane under the door card.

B…..

Paul Domoney
                  Participant

Thanks Bernie and Larry. Very useful information. I suppose the answer is not to go out in the rain!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.