Window frames

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Norman Anderson
    Participant

Hope someone knows where I may be able to locate these items.

Some time ago I sent my frames to John Gillard for scumbling. He passed them onto a painter in London who would do the job.

I’ve lost contact with John, and indeed the frames (as I have no idea where he sent them).

I now need to find a set of frames for a Slough Light 15 in order to complete this long restoration.

Regards, Norman Anderson

07967 835646

Larry Lewis
      Participant

Not sure about your vernacular. What is “scumbling? ” Never heard that before.

Richard Larter
        Participant

Hi Larry

Scumbling is where metal parts are treated with a special paint to resemble wood grain, often used to make metal dashboards look like wood. I have it on the internal window and windscreen frames of my Light 15.

Cheers Richard

Larry Lewis
          Participant

Thanks, Richard. On this side of the pond, we just call it woodgraining. If I said scumbling, I’d probably get punched. “What did you call me!?”

David Faulkner
            Participant

Norman, John has moved out to Kent, has not continued with the old ‘Arches’ numbers and was also taking some time off for his birthday. If you ring James Geddes at Traction Repairs on 07783 259874 he has a private contact number for John and might be able to find out where your frames are (or supply some replacements)

Bernie
              Participant

Norman,

Should your pursuance of JG fail to reunite you with your frames I do have a set of four door frames and one rear window frame from a fairly late Light 15.  All will need re-painting.

The door frames are in reasonable condition but the rear widow will need to have the joints reinforced before painting.  Unfortunately I do not have a surround for the front screen.

Pictures here if you are interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bgi489krprt943u/AAB3IP-EAf5IXuNepk2QdmXaa?dl=0

As with all my bits, “no reasonable offer refused”.

I live about an hour from you if you think you might be interested in seeing these in the flesh.

B…………..

Chris
                Participant

Quite by chance, last week I met a man who can paint metal to look like wood. He’s in Florida which is not so convenient and I’m sure there are similarly skilled people within these shores – however, here’s his work on a Delahaye dashboard. Nice work I think.

IMG_6836

Chris

Bernie
                  Participant

Sadly, scumbling is a dying art.  My dear old dad used to do it but I never took on his artistic skills – and he never opened the bonnet of his car!

But, I think I may know a capable man who, fortunately, is located a tad more conveniently than Florida.  I shall check and advise.

B…………

David Faulkner
                    Participant

It’s a dying art Bernie as there are ‘modern’ alternatives e.g. vinyl wrap.

A member of our local car club did his American Car using wood grain wrap and it looked very good though there has to be an art in itself getting it smooth around those complex curves on the door frame which is a lot like the shape of those on a post 52 Traction.

DashDoor_Cap

Norman Anderson
                      Participant

Richard, thank you for the explanation – far more eloquent than I might have been!

David, thanks for the contact details. managed to get John on the phone, so at least we are in contact, though I’m no closer to my frames or even knowing where they are!

Chris, the Florida work looks excellent (as do the ‘wrap’ pics by David). I’m a regular visitor to Miami, Chris would that by any chance be anywhere near your man?

Bernie, thanks for the offer of frames. I may well take you up. Only issue I have is finding a winscreen frame. Will let you know.

It’s great to know that this forum isn’t as dead as I thought it was!

Bernie
                        Participant

Norman,

I am still waiting for a reply from my possible scumbler but, in the meantime, I have been talking to a mutual friend who is in regular contact with John Gillard.

He tells me the last year has been a nightmare for John but he is now settling into his new (Kent) premises and getting sorted out to the point of being able to locate stock.  If you try again via James Geddes as suggested above,  you may now have more success in getting a positive result re. your frames.  John is obviously still under a lot of pressure so the sooner you stake your claim the better.

B……………

Bernie
                          Participant

Norman,

Depending on your success with JG …

1) – The windscreen frame of a Light 15 is part no. 221217 which appears to be the same as that of a pre-’52 Légère so I do not believe you will have too much difficulty in locating one should you need to.  I have contacts in France for second hand bits if required.

2) – I can confirm I do have a UK contact capable of “scumbling” should you need it.

B…………

Chris
                            Participant

Hi Norman,

Apologies for the delay – “my” man is Gary Lasasso – http://www.lasassoart.com/index.html based in Tampa Bay, FL which is a very boring 4 hour drive from Miami.

It’s worth it when you get there – both  for the Tampa Bay Automobile Museum – where Gary works IMG_6806 (002) and for the the Salvador Dali museum.

IMG_6639 (002)

Chris

Editor FP
                              Participant

I too had plain painted window surrounds on my Light 15 and decided to have a go at wood graining myself.

Scumbling covers a multitude of techniques, and wood graining is the version that you are looking for. DIY is possible for the sort of simple effect needed in a Slough Traction.

Get a fan type paintbrush from an artist shop, paint the frame with a base coat, probably a yellow ochre sort of colour, let it dry and then overpaint it with a fairly dilute layer of brown which tones in with your dashboard. Then get your fan brush and lightly go over the top coat before it dries and you will, with a little practice, get a grain type effect with the ochre base showing through where the dry brush drags through the top coat. Practice on a piece of scrap before you commit on a  window surround and experiment with different shades to get the right effect.

I am sure that I have previously come across an article in the technical archives on this technique, but couldn’t find it when I last looked.

I used acrylic artist’s paint, which dries moisture resistant, but can be wiped off whilst still wet if you don’t like the effect and want to try again. When thoroughly dried out, I sprayed it with a  coat of clear lacquer to seal it. The result was very effective and has not degraded over the last couple of years.

Patrick Russell-Jones
                                Participant

FP Vol 23 1998-99 05 Mar has an article “painting Slough interior window surrounds (imitation wood)”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.