q Wiper Motor Gearing Problem - Traction Owners Club

Wiper Motor Gearing Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am in trouble again with my 6 volt wiper motor on my Legere.
      The black dash knob engages my Wipers for one cycle then goes into free gear again. Is this an adjustment problem with the knob engaging free gear, to facilitate the opening of the front windshield.
      The motor can be held forward by hand to allow wipers to continually work but when dash knot engages it will only complete one cycle.
      Not knowing how this engage and disengage works I am lost at trying to sort out this problem.

Hope someone will be able to enlighten me further.

Regards
      Davy

Anonymous

The wipers are controlled by the EG push/pull switch/knob on the dash. Pulling this out should engage the wipers automatically. When you switch them off – by pushing in the knob – the passenger side (RHS) should park automatically. Rotation of the central knob is required to park the driver’s side wiper – and also for manual operation of driver’s side wiper only when switch is off. If wipers can only be engaged by using the central knob after switching on then something is wrong. Probably a case of adjusting under the dash.
        However this is a total pain – probably the least accessible component on the French cars. Requires prostration (!) under the dash with a torch. Some access can also be made by removing the battery and the shield behind it under the bonnet, but still very difficult. However it could be worth removing the motor and dismantling/cleaning/re-greasing it because, after 60+ years, the lubrication grease with which the motor is packed inside when new becomes near solid and can seriously affect the smooth running of the wipers. I managed to do mine last summer and it was well worth it; my back has just about recovered now……

Anonymous

Hi Peter
          Thanks for your much appreciated and helpful posts. I have tried to remove wiper motor by removing blinker dash switch to remove r/hand screw but can not get access to the opposite screw to remove motor through battery box opening.
          I can get wipers working perfectly by putting a cable tie around motor to draw gear to base plate, but would this not stop motor from disengaging and stop the black knob turning wipers under windshield to open same.
          When pulling Wiper switch (EG) out Wiper motor starts up but not in gear until you pull motor forward to base plate then wipers work and park perfectly until switch is pushed back to off.
          Regards
          Davy

Anonymous

Hi Davy,

You conundrum makes me grateful i have the earlier setup with the wipers above the windscreen – my smugness doesn’t help you though.
            I looked at the picture on p106 on Jose Franssen’s catalogue (https://www.citroen-traction-avant.com/media/1147/catalogue-11-cv-en.pdf. From your description it sounds to like something in the springing arrangement behind the black knob may be sticking or you’ve lost a rubber grommet somehow. Have you tried looking down through the scuttle vent to see what’s going on?
            It does sound like it all needs to come out – you may need an extra joint in your arm to do it.
            You could try sending an email to or call Steve Reed who mans the Technical Helpline – see F-P for contact details. I was also looking to see if there’s been an article on this in an earlier F-P but haven’t spotted one yet. In which case – when you do solve it – please do put something on here about how you did it!
            Thanks
            Chris

Anonymous

Hi Chris
              My. Other Traction 1938 Slough Light 12 also has above windscreen wipers which are very easy to work at and quite simple to remove and refit. This is a completely different animal all together, we have tried to remove complete wiper motor including mechanical arms without success. The complete unit seems to be about 5 or 6mm to large to remove, the two threaded studs that come through body almost come back far enough but not quite and control arms seem to hit bulkhead stopping the possibility to lower for removal.
              We have removed glove pocket liner and metal hinged glove door from dash also battery box backplate to gain as much access but still cannot get problem sorted.
              I have contacted Steve regarding this problem last week, he has not came back to me yet (maybe like me still scratching his head)
              Steve has helped me with difficult problems in the past.
              We are scheduled to have another go tomorrow morning, I hope this does not beat us, will keep trying. Wil post when we get to the bottom of this Problem.
              Thanks for your help
              Davy

Anonymous

I had quite forgotten about removing the glove box liner – you can even see the motor when this is removed! When I did mine I only removed the motor – not the mechanism. I can’t remember exactly how I did it, just that those two screws, number 721190 on sheet 50 on the Frannssen site that Chris referenced, can be removed with enough contortions and expletives. If you can do this then you should be able to operate the mechanism manually and see what is happening. The self park mechanism is integrated into the motor and you can check that with a jury rig 6 volts to the motor when it has been removed.
                Good luck

Anonymous

Thanks to Peter and Chris Bailey for your help in solving my problem with wiper motor Gearing.
                  We removed the 1 nut, lock whasher and bolt at bottom of wiper motor which allows the motor to be dropped down from back of dash. The problem with the motor not engaging in gear when E.G. Switch was pulled on was the 2 rubber bushes to each side of motor being perished and broken in the centre, the only part salvageable being the metal centres that go through the rubber bushes. We did not want to go searching for such a small parts item so we cut a rubber tubeless valve using the piece that goes through the wheel rim (bulbous end) and discovered it fitted almost perfectly, including metal insert through valve centre opening.
                  This bush being badly perished alowwed the motor to fall away with it’s own weight from base plate so not engaging in gear.
                  The modified rubber bushes now keep the base plate and motor in gear and now drives and parks wipers perfectly.
                  We took Peters advice and packed new grease, oiled on/off switch on motor, oiled gable and cleaned contact points inside motor.
                  The glove compartment liner is quite easy to remove and refit, 1 srcrew at side, top and the 2 that hold liner and pocket door hinges together. This gives amazing room to complete this very awkward & frustrating job.
                  As everything is working fine I thought this post may help, and give a few ideas to other readers of our Forum.
                  Kind Regards, Davy

Anonymous

Well done David for persevering with this unenviable job. I must admit I was very glad to have sorted mine out…..until I realised that now, every so often, the whole mechanism locks up!!!! Doesn’t seem to be the motor, usually I can get the wipers going again by forcing the big knob around with a bit of judicious juggling of the arms under the dash. Clearly something not quite right, think I will wait until the Spring for another look………

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • The forum ‘Help Wanted’ is closed to new topics and replies.