You're not going to believe what I saw last night!

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum General Discussion You're not going to believe what I saw last night!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Larry Lewis
    Participant

A film directed by Claude Chabrol, called “The Good Guys and the Bad Guys” made in the early 1980s. It’s about France in the 1930s with police and gangsters leading up to the later unpleasantness where the “Underworld” and “Underground” are not exactly the same thing. French cops working for the Gestapo and all that. The film is made with the co-operation of Citroen and describes accurately the introduction of the Traction in 1934.  Looking at the cars of the period, the Traction must have seemed like a spaceship! Outrunning the cops who had no hope until they got their own Tractions.  A good film, but the thing that amazes was the 15/6 convertible seen near the end. Only for a few seconds, but still.

Peter Fereday
      Participant

Can’t seem to find this film listed anywhere – was it on general release?  Certainly not in Wikipedia’s Filmography on Chabrol – what was it’s original French name? Would be nice to have a link so we could see it.

Peter

Larry Lewis
        Participant

My mistake, it’s Claude Lelouche, not Claude Chabrol. The original title is “Les Bon et Les Mechants” and it’s from 1976. I watched it again last night and though the film is in a sepia-coloured semi-black and white, the 15/6 looks to be painted a light gold colour as best I can tell. I know the Madame Michelin car was an olive green, so is anyone familiar with that car? Not too good at cutting and pasting but it is on IMDB.com

David Faulkner
          Participant

Here is the link Larry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074231/ and a Google hit using the film title https://tinyurl.com/y948ygd4

Peter Fereday
            Participant

Great looking film, watched the trailer found through the link David posted. Also just bought a copy of the full film DVD, available cheaply on French eBay.

As regards the 15/6 convertible at the end, I thought I had found the answer. The only true surviving 15/6 cabriolet would appear to be the Mme Michelin one, now finished in dark green:
              https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MC16/Monaco/lots/r141-1939-citro%C3%ABn-15-cv-roadster/238720.

Whilst this car was in the States it was a light gold colour :-

traction 15/6 cabriolet in USA

However the car only returned to Europe in 1997 so couldn’t have been in the film. If only six were ever made, did any others survive – at least until the 1970’s when the film was made?

Peter

Larry Lewis
              Participant

According to the Sotheby’s info, it couldn’t have been the one in the film. I know the story about the Madame Michelin car, having known and had dealings with Red Dellinger  back in the 80s when I first got my 11B. There was an authentic one at Arras in 2009, the man that owned it said he owned the MM car (as I recall) but it wasn’t there.

Peter Fereday
                Participant

All very interesting. Re-reading the relevant chapter in Jon Pressnell’s excellent book on the traction there is the suggestion that another genuine 15/6 convertible exists with 1946 homologation. Also the intriguing possibility that two rolling shells were acquired in 1959 by a Parisian garagiste and built up into complete 6 cylinder roadsters. Now it would be nice if that were true and one of them was in the film, but surely they would have been accounted for by now and documented somewhere???

Larry Lewis
                  Participant

Yes it would. I wonder just how many replicas there are. Louis Grenier of Montreal has two 15/6 copies, very nice they are. My friend here, George Dyke is presently working on finding out just what the movie car is.

Peter Fereday
                    Participant

Well the only 6cyl roadster replica I know of in the UK is the one currently owned by Steve Southgate. This car was based on a 1953 Slough built saloon using a Peacock bodyshell. It visited us here in Scotland for last year’s TOC Annual Rally – two photos attached from Boturich Castle, Loch Lomond. (1st photo thanks to Raymond Albeson, 2nd is mine).

I stand to be corrected though and it would be great if other people could chip in with any other cars they know about.

Peter

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Peter Fereday. Reason: distortion of 1st photo
                      Larry Lewis
                      Participant

Gorgeous car, I saw it at Arras.

Anonymous

Hi Everyone

Sounds a very interesting film to watch,Is there an English version or are there just French & German? I presume that they are no versions spoken in English the ones forsale on Amazon seem to be German copies

regards

Alan

Larry Lewis
                          Participant

It was in French with English subtitles.

Anonymous

Hi Larry

Where is the best place to get a copy

Regards

Alan

Peter Fereday
                              Participant

The copies available in the UK seem to be French language only with no subtitles – a cheap one is here for £2.95  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000H0MJ1Q/ref=tmm_dvd_used_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1519763174&sr=8-1

If you want English subtitles you can download a copy here – https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/6328803/le-bon-et-les-mechants-en

You can then scroll through it on a tablet etc while watching the DVD on your TV, tried it the other night and it works, although best to have some knowledge of French so you don’t lose your place………

Bon Chance

Peter

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Peter Fereday.
                                Larry Lewis
                                Participant

If you not seen it have a look at this. It will give you an idea.

havhttps://citroenvie.com/want-to-see-a-great-traction-avant-film/e

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.