1950 Lt15 small boot floor and cover plates

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Technical Bodywork & interior 1950 Lt15 small boot floor and cover plates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jack Peppiatt
    Participant

Hello,

I have recently bought a Slough built 1950 small boot car. The rear valance and boot flap and floor have been repaired in the past and are not quite as they were originally. I would be greatly obliged if someone would post a few photos of a correct arrangement please. I do not anticipate rebuilding the valance, at least at this stage, however I would like to fit the cover over the fuel tank access holes and I believe the flap which dropped into place when the boot lid is opened.

I last owned tractions in the early 1960’s and am thrilled to own another now.

Thanks in anticipation

Regards Jack

Alistair
      Participant

Here are a few photos from my Light 12 (1939 unrestored). Maybe some help?

filefile1file4file5file6file7

Alistair

Jack Peppiatt
        Participant

Thank you Alistair the photos are very informative. It looks as if the oval plate fits over both access holes, do you recall if it was held down with set screws? Does it have a small turn down at the edge of the plate? The flap I think is hinged to the bootlid, presumably falling down over the very bottom storage bin, it could be lifted to get at the jack and wheel brace perhaps? Is it wood or metal and are those reinforcing D strips underneath it?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Regards Jack

Alistair
          Participant

Jack,
            The oval plate has a “turn down” around its edge and is secured with four small slotted screws – holes visible in picture.
            The flap is hinged to the boot lid and when the boot is open is secured “up” to a plate on the boot with a small turnbuckle fitting.
            When the flap is down it rests on the boot floor – it does not go into the “storage” bin. It is made of metal.
            Not sure what you mean concerning the D strips? The flap has metal strips on the underside to reinforce the flap?

Let me know if you require further info/clarification.

Alistair

Jack Peppiatt
            Participant

Thanks Alistair, you have supplied all the info I needed. I might be able to fabricate the flap and will look for a cover plate.

Regards Jack

Alistair
              Participant

Let me know if you require the boot flap dimensions etc.

Alistair

Jack Peppiatt
                Participant

That would be extremely kind, thank you yes please

Alistair
                  Participant

Jack,

See attached. I have shown the small handles/fastening loops under the flap at either end. Also the wooden batons that the flap rests on when it is in the open position.

dimensionsIMG_0882IMG_0885IMG_0884

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Alistair.
                    Jack Peppiatt
                    Participant

OK got it, I just found how to enlarge the pictures, doh, so can now see much more detail. I guess when the flap is down, the boot lid cannot be shut? Are the hinges welded to the flap and boot lid or bolted? Do you know if there should be a wooden floor resting on the two wooden packing strips to keep all from the metal boot floor? What is the purpose of the two handles under the flap, just to pull it down when needed do you think?

Alistair
                      Participant

Correct, the boot cannot close with the flap down.

The hinges are welded – looks like spot welding.

Mine does not have a wooden floor – will have to ask others. My car has not been touched since 1964 – so I am guessing it did not have one.

I would think the two handles under the lid are to allow a strap to be threaded though to keep luggage in place when sitting on the flap??

Just need some period, leather cases to fill the boot!

Alistair

Patrick Russell-Jones
                        Participant

Jack

Here’s another boot view, from my 1951 Light 15. The flap is held up by a wire clip which is attached to a spring. No handles on this arrangement.

Patrick

20181108_142654

Jack Peppiatt
                          Participant

Thank you Patrick, it becomes more clear with your photo. I can see the clip below and to the left of the wheel cover wing nut. Is your flap/plate metal or wooden?

Patrick Russell-Jones
                            Participant

It’s a metal flap. Let me know if you want any other piuctures.

Jack Peppiatt
                              Participant

Thanks Patrick, if and when you have a moment a close up of the flange on the edge would be helpful and a closer view of the hing arrangement please

Patrick Russell-Jones
                                Participant

Jack, some more photos.

IMG_1854IMG_1853IMG_1855

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.