New member – Looking for help on restoring a Big 15

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions New member – Looking for help on restoring a Big 15

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Bernie
    Participant

That said, if your brakes are seized on – possibly because it has stood with the handbrake on? – and the drums do not rotate, removal may require a little persuasion ……..

There is no official persuader but careful not to damage the edge of the drum by using a club hammer or similar.  The tool set does contain  a decent leather mallet which should do 5he job with no risk of damage.

B…

Mark Breugelmans
      Participant

We managed to unjam the engine 🙂

On removing the starter motor we discovered a huge chunk had broken off.
        Luckily I was able to stick my hand in and fish it out from the engine starter gear.

Engine turns again now.

startermotor2startmotor1

Unfortunately we were less successful freeing the rear wheels. The pad adjuster bolts will not move at all.
        We will try removing the wheels next time. Would heating the drums with a heat gun be a way to free them maybe?

thanks,

Mark

Bernie
        Participant

My guess is that it was left with the handbrake on and either the cables or the shoes – or both – have seized.

Heating the drums is unlikely to free seized shoes or cylinders.

Suggest you start by wiggling the cables to free them if sticking.  If they are steel covered an application of WD40 or similar may help.

This is unlikely to release stuck shoes but, with the hub nut released, gently tap around the outer back edge of the drum – preferably with a soft (leather or nylon) mallet to drive the drum off.  Avoid heavy blows with a steel hammer which could fracture the drum.

B….

Chris
          Participant

Hi Mark – any news on freeing off the brakes?

Chris

Mark Breugelmans
            Participant

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the lack of reply, unfortunately I had to take a break working on the car for personal reasons, but I’ve finally started looking at this again. I successfully managed to free the brakes on left rear wheel by rotating the upper cams inwards.

The cam nuts were seized and it took a lot of penetrating oil and a 6 sided socket with a long lever to free them.

Unfortunately the right rear wheel has been less forgiving. One of the cam nuts was partially rounded and I’ve made it worse trying to free it. The drum is refusing the budge. I also tried tapping around the edge of the drum with a nylon hammer after releasing the hub nut, but no luck with that approach either.

I’m considering a heating the cam nut, filing some flats in it, or trying a nut extraction socket. Or perhaps I could heat around the drum and hammer it off?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks,
              Mark

Mark Breugelmans
              Participant

IMG_2805
                Finally managed to get the drum off with the help of a blow torch.

IMG_2801

Chris
                Participant

Well done Mark,

The drum looks ok, in fact it all looks ok. I suspect the wheel cylinders will need replacing as they tend to seize. But otherwise it looks like it just needs a clean.

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.