Wheeler Dealers Citroen HY Van

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Did anyone see this show last night? They fitted a ford pinto engine in place of the 11 engine.

Anonymous

Just about to watch it now 😀

Anonymous

Bit of a disappointment really skipped all the interesting bits.

Anonymous

Must admit, they sort of missed everything. Even the rear window changed form the small oval to a large square as if it was a totally different van.

But, the big question is, would that transit engine fit into a Traction ❓ ❓ .

Anonymous

I am wondering that too………………. Not sure if my 3 speed gearbox would take the power of even the 1600cc.

Anonymous

After e mailing the company it seems it would fit. They say however they would not do it because of devaluing the car. But I suppose they would sell the engine etc to be fitted at home.

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

After e mailing the company it seems it would fit. They say however they would not do it because of devaluing the car. But I suppose they would sell the engine etc to be fitted at home.

What a ridiculous statement – I think when I found my car it was worth probably €3000 with a completely knackered engine. So buying one of their engine would not devalue it anymore…. would it. But it would allow you to drive it quite nicely around the modern roads in minimal time, specially when a recon perfo or 11D comes in not much less the €4000.

If I found another “barn find” with a beat up old engine I would thing about it.

What struck me about the show was the many times they mentioned the fact that the original engine need to be serviced every 1200 miles as it did not have an oil filter. I know I have changed my oil a few more times than that but is this the correct timing for such a service ?

Also – they said that was a 1600 engine in a ’56 Van – didn’t know they did a 1600 engine other than pre war cars?

Anonymous

Yes, there is a firm in the UK that does replacement engines for the H van. They do quite a lot, as there is a real boom in the ‘street food’ sector when it comes to the H van.
                    Think they are in Wales. Did some research ages ago when we were looking for a H van. Sadly the price kept moving away from us as more and more vans were snapped up and turned into gourmet buger and coffee vans!

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

@bazessex wrote:

What struck me about the show was the many times they mentioned the fact that the original engine need to be serviced every 1200 miles as it did not have an oil filter. I know I have changed my oil a few more times than that but is this the correct timing for such a service ?

Various intervals are quoted Ian and there is a lubrication chart in the Technical Library on the main site that appears to show 3,000 kms, but I err on the side of caution and change at 1,000-1,200 miles or so and before the cars takes a rest over the winter.

An oil change only costs 1% of what a bottom end rebuild does.

Oil is cheap, engine rebuilds aren’t 🙄

Anonymous

I must admit if I needed a new engine I would be very tempted to go the ford route. I feel they could have spent more time showing detail of what was done to the van. I may well look into fitting a oil filter into the engine since the plan when finished is to do some long journeys.

Anonymous

Just found another ‘Lubrication’ guide in a back issue of Floating power, October 99 Volume 24 Issue 2 pages 12-14.

It does say ‘Light 15’ but applies to 4 cylinder Perfo engine cars and does say 2,000 mile oil changes.

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

Just found another ‘Lubrication’ guide in a back issue of Floating power, October 99 Volume 24 Issue 2 pages 12-14.

It does say ‘Light 15’ but applies to 4 cylinder Perfo engine cars and does say 2,000 mile oil changes.

Well I dropped the oil in my car today as it won’t be used much over the winter and I like to leave the engine ‘Clean’ and refilled with Millers Classic 20w50

It had done less than a 1,000 miles since the last change and just over 5,500 miles since the engine rebuild and looked like it was coming out of a diesel engine (apart from the soot content)……

No way I would go to 2,000 miles between oil changes

Anonymous

Forget the Ford engine. Traction engines turn opposite direction to H van engines! I must be mad but am looking for a H van now.

Anonymous

If the Ford engine turns opposite, then flip the differential to the left side of the gearbox. There seems to be adequate room to do it. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Or am I missing something?

Anonymous

@L.Lewis wrote:

If the Ford engine turns opposite, then flip the differential to the left side of the gearbox. There seems to be adequate room to do it. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Or am I missing something?

Never thought of that to be honest. Still I will not be going that route now as I have a ID engine and 4 speed box lined up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.